• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

oddly enough, I have a partly made 2x6 chess set at the house. Turaj you did a great job, Maybe I'll get a chance to finish mine up here soon and we can compare.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Formalized 2011 2x6 Contest Voting Rule (proposal)

Since there were a lot of "likes" for my idea, let me formalize it then:

There are Five prizes:
      There are 7 or more entries.

First round:
      All registered BT3 members may vote once for Grand Prize by selecting among all entered projects they think is most worthy.
      Allow one week for voting using the BT3Central Vbulletin poll mechanism
      Winner with the most votes will be declared Grand Prize winner.
      Runner up will be the project with the second most votes.
      In the event of a tie a 3-day poll will be taken to decide between the tied entrants for GP and Runner Up.
      The GP winner will have his choice of prize.
      Then the runner up will have his choice of prize from the remaining items.

Second round (can start as soon as the Round one winners are identified):
      All registered BT3 members may vote among all entered projects, except the first round winners, for the Best/Most Complete Use of a 2x6.
      Allow one week for voting using the BT3Central Vbulletin poll mechanism.
      In the event of a tie there will be a 3-day poll taken to decide the winner among the tied entries.
      Winner will have his choice from the remaining prizes.

Third Round (can start as soon as the round 2 winner is identified):
      All registered BT3 members may vote among the entered projects, except previous First and second round winners, for the Most Original/Unusual Project.
      Allow one week for voting using the BT3Central Vbulletin poll mechanism.
      In the event of a tie there will be a 3-day poll taken to decide the winner among the tied entries.
      Winner will have his choice from the remaining prizes.

After the completion of the third round there will be one prize left.
      This may be awarded to one of the remaining three or more projects that did not win in the first three rounds, as a prize for effort. The contest admin will draw at random all the remaining projects, assigning them 1, 2, 3, etc. in the order of draw. The project 1 owner shall have first chance at the remaining prize, should he not want it, it may go to the 2 and then the 3 project owner or succeeding projects in that order. In the event the last prize is not claimed, then there will be a sub-contest, with 7 days for entries for "Why I did Not Enter the Contest" and a subsequent 7-day poll to award the prize to the most lame excuse for "why I did not enter the contest" submitted.

Vbulletin Polling:
      Should be set so that poll locks after 7 days for prime voting and 3 days for tie-break.
      Should be set so that voter may vote for only one.
      Should be set so that voting is anonymous.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Voting now open!
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          Voting now open!
          It's a tough choice. These are all excellent entries!

JR
          JR

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

Brian G, nicely done, very elegant! I wish I had the chops to make that!
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Brian G
              • Jun 2003
              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
              • G0899

Thanks, Herb. I appreciate the compliment.
              Brian

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I gotta say this : all of you entrants have a lot of chutzpah. You start with an ordinary 2-by, dream big, and then deliver! I wouldn't have come up with anything close to as useful or good looking as any of these if I worked with the best of cherry, so it's good I did not try !

Dick, I gotta know : how did you get that gorgeous color on treated wood? And why do you buy any other wood when salvaged wood serves you so well ?

DB, yours might be the most 'scientific' of all the entries, and a pine-knot never looked prettier! That curve looks so cute!

Shep, I am sorry I showed your biplane to my daughter; now she wants me to make one for her, big enough to hold her ! Nice work, sir!

Mark, that is a beautifully executed lap-desk. Those box-joints fit so neatly! I'd like to see more pictures : open box, and finished. It might be made from a 2x4, but it's a keeper!

Erik, you might dream lofty, but you also get mighty close - You have already taken my breath away with the very idea of so many mortise, tenons, and hand tools! I think you are on your way to a grand final product!

Turaj, it's good you included the w-i-p pictures, else I'd have called you a liar! Even after looking at all of them, I can scarcely believe you came up with such a beautiful table (all those curves!), topped it with an excellent chessboard (and not painted the squares!), and even had time, patience and the skill, for a full set of chessmen! I - well, I don't have words, I can scarcely believe it still. A-ma-zing!

Brian G, now I want to check out your other posts to see any other stuff you made. You made a 2x8 look so respectable! Your idea of tinting only parts of the table was inspired. If you were disappointed with the elegance of this, I'd like to see the ones you are happy with!

I have voted, and am resentful that I have only one vote. I think I should one vote for each year I am a member here ! And I also think I might have been biased towards finished products; on second thoughts I think some of the others too will look exquisite when completed. All of these look so good that I would pay just to watch them being built!

All in all, an excellent exercise. I shall be visiting this thread a lot, looking for inspiration !
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I am truly humbled by that my little clock would be even mentioned in the same post as these other projects. Of course I had to vote for my own just so I would get a vote, but like I mentioned before, I didn't expect to, nor was it really my intention to win any entry, but rather hopefully inspire others to build better projects and they certainly did. I am simply stunned at the quality of Turaj's entry. I honeslty have no idea how to respond that his aside from fan stinkin' tastic! Black Walnut's lap desk looks like a real winner, Whaler's pen set amazes me about what can be done with a hunk of PT 2x6, Shep's toy airplane honestly gave me a bit of a trip down memory lane. My great uncle built a toy box for visiting kids that resembled a Volkswagen Microbus out of 2x6's he milled down back in the 60's, so 2x6 vehicle toys are very nostalgic to me... BrianG's table is just stunning... These guys all did fantastic work.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I am truly humbled by that my little clock would be even mentioned in the same post as these other projects. Of course I had to vote for my own just so I would get a vote, but like I mentioned before, I didn't expect to, nor was it really my intention to win any entry, but rather hopefully inspire others to build better projects and they certainly did. I am simply stunned at the quality of Turaj's entry. I honeslty have no idea how to respond that his aside from fan stinkin' tastic! Black Walnut's lap desk looks like a real winner, Whaler's pen set amazes me about what can be done with a hunk of PT 2x6, Shep's toy airplane honestly gave me a bit of a trip down memory lane. My great uncle built a toy box for visiting kids that resembled a Volkswagen Microbus out of 2x6's he milled down back in the 60's, so 2x6 vehicle toys are very nostalgic to me... BrianG's table is just stunning... And last but certainly not least, pelligrini's boot rack, all those mortise and tenon joints really makes my head hurt. I love the work, and am glad I am not the one that had to make all those joints! These guys all did fantastic work. Prize or no, they are all winners!
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

And the winner is Turaj! Congrats! Watch for a PM for prize selection.
                      Brian G first runner up!
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • On the TARDIS
                        • BT 3100

Way to go Turaj! Congrats to all the entrants for some incredible looking projects.
                        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

Congratulations Turaj and Brian. I was pretty awestruck when I saw both of your entries. Truely impressive work on both.
                          Erik

Comment

• Turaj
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                            • BT3000 (1998)

Thank You!

Let me start by saying thanks to everyone who voted (either for me or the other entries). Frankly I don't know how you picked one over the others!!! I am honored and a bit surprised as I thought Brian's table would come on top!!!

Next "thank you" goes to all the participant for helping to raise more funds for BT3Central (I know there were several others who paid the fee but did not enter a project due to various reasons). I also want to congratulate the other 6 for their superb entries. I think each of us managed and dealt with a different challenge: either by using a PT lumber (Dick), or beauty and elegance (Brian), practicality (Mark, Dbhost) or design (Shep) and not to forget Pelligrini's challenge (no physical fastener). It was certainly difficult to compare one project to the next one.

I hope we can repeat this challenge every year (perhaps with a little more time and more entries). I know it is fun and eye opening (surprising?) to see what can be made with a piece of 2 X 6 construction lumber!!!

Thanks
                            Turaj (in Toronto)
                            "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• Whaler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Sequim, WA, USA.
                              • DW746

Turaj, congratulations they are well deserved.
                              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Pappy
                                The Full Monte
                                • Dec 2002
                                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                                • BT3000 (x2)

Crngrats to all, but especially Turaj and Brian. I didn't vote because I couldn't decide between what turned out to be the top 2. I was torn between the complexity and planning by Turaj to get all the pieces for the chess set and table and the visual appeal Brian created with the clean lines and his choice of stains.
                                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                                Fools because they have to say something.
                                Plato

Comment

Working...