• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Birch Logs

I cut down a paper birch this weekend. I have some sections of trunk that are about 10" in diameter. Are these worth saving, drying and eventually turning into bowls?

I would like to do something with them, at least for my kids. They were all sad to see it go. I'd love to present them with something made from the tree when they are older.

I also saved a bigger crotch section, not sure if that's good for anything. It's too big for me to mill, anyway.
    Joe
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I've been saving back some chinaberry wood to build something for my grandkids. There is not enough to build something big, but maybe I have enough to resaw and build jewelry boxes for the girls and a small tool box for the boys. Logs to lumber is a tough task., and for most of us hand splitting firewood size logs and salvaging a few boards out of each is the only thing in our capabilities.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I save pieces like that. I never know what I might use them for. I am of the mindset of Capncarl in that I am thinking of re-sawing some for the purpose of small items.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Shouldn't you seal the ends now to prevent uneven moisture escape through the ends that will cause checking and splitting.
        Paint or other sealant will only let the moisture out through the sides and that will occur evenly.
        You then have to ait a couple of years so they can dry evenly and then cut them.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I use whatever paint I have leftover for that. There is always just a swallow or two of paint left that you hate to throw away, just in case you have to touch up a spot, so you keep always have a stack of nearly empty gallon paint cans taking up space in your shop. One of my wife's discarded oven pans has a cubbyhole in my parts bin, I use it for whatever nut, bolt, washer or screw that doesn't get put back in the proper sorter. When I want to paint ends of logs I dump out the junk hardware from the oven pan, line the pan with a piece of Polly and pour in some paint from fhe nearly empty paint cans. I just set the log end in the pan and let it soak up paint for a minute or two, roatate and get the other end....... whalllla the log is sealed and I have used up paint that I should have thrown out 5 years ago. Now the log has a nice surface to write what kind of wood it is, and if I'm smart I will also put what project I'm saving it for.

Comment

Working...