• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

couple of new efforts

One thing I can be sure of about turning is that it sure makes a lot of sawdust. The nice thing about turning is that you can go from raw material to finished item pretty quickly. I have been experimenting and here are outcomes from today. Lots of issues and much practice still needed.

The small bowl is in mesquites and I ended up going through the bottom. The platter is in poplar.

Getting a smooth finish free of tool marks appears to be a challenge. Even after sanding I can still se some marks. And dealing with the end grain - DANG :-( what is the secret?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-20 14.33.00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	801054

Name:	2016-02-20 14.33.26.jpg
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	801055

Name:	2016-02-20 14.31.57.jpg
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	801056

Name:	2016-02-20 14.32.30.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	801057
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Put a few more holes in that one you went through the bottom and call it a colander.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

It looks like the one with the hole was destin to be with that knot there.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Having a senior moment here for the right terminology, but turn a piece of walnut or contrasting wood as a flared out base, but hollow out enough on the top side to fit snuggly to the bottom of the bowl. Glue together and turn the bottom of the holey bowl to reveal the contrasting wood; then tell everyone it was designed that way!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

My neighbor, Layne Kennedy, sometimes uses a mixture of epoxy and turquoise dust/granules to fill voids.

Name:	Bowl with turquoise.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	787618

The link below shows some more of his work. Layne is a well known nature photographer, too.

Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 02-22-2016, 02:37 AM.
          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Originally posted by poolhound
            One thing I can be sure of about turning is that it sure makes a lot of sawdust. The nice thing about turning is that you can go from raw material to finished item pretty quickly. I have been experimenting and here are outcomes from today. Lots of issues and much practice still needed.

The small bowl is in mesquites and I ended up going through the bottom. The platter is in poplar.
            Very nice work Jon, you're off to a great start. Hank's recommendation may be the best option to save the bowl, especially if the bottom is now too thin. For small holes and cracks, I use either saw dust or coffee grounds to fill, saturated with thin CA.

Originally posted by poolhound
            Getting a smooth finish free of tool marks appears to be a challenge. Even after sanding I can still se some marks. And dealing with the end grain - DANG :-( what is the secret?
            This will come with experience, but I find that very light passes with a very sharp scraper held in shear position will get most tool marks. Check out this Reed Gray video where he demonstrates finish cuts. He uses various tools, but starting at 9:30, he demonstrates shear.

For sanding, I use the 2 inch disks, either in my HF RA drill (powered), or my HF RA die grinder (unpowered) and use all the grits up to ~600, making sure all scratches from each disk are removed by the next. Starting grit will vary by how bad the tear-out or tool marks are, for most of my soft wood with tear-out I start at 100.
            Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 02-22-2016, 02:13 PM.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I am with eccentrictinkerer, celebrate the hole! After all, that was natures work. Blowing out a knot does not officially count as going through the bottom. At least not in my book. And I HAVE gone through the bottom. Lovely grain on that mesquite. And the platter is rather nice as well. I like the shapes you picked.

Bill's advice is spot on, sharp tools, a very light cut and a lot of practice are needed for a nice finish off the tool that needs very little sanding. But there is no shame in sanding. The first pass with the roughest paper is the most important, it has to remove ALL tool marks. The starting grit depends on the wood and orientation, for endgrain it needs to be a tad finer because even sandpaper can cause tear-out. I have never used a power tool in addition to the spinning lathe, but others swear by it. In any case once the tool marks are gone, progress through the grits until all marks from the previous grit are gone. For some woods I like to finish off by kicking up the RPMs and using clean shavings to burnish the surface.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Love the grain in the Mesquite bowl. Shame you can't plug it where the knot is and smooth out the bottom.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Thanks everybody for all the comments and encouragement. At this point I am such a newbie to turning I am just experimenting to see how the different tools and techniques work.That plus learning how to cut logs to create blanks and how the different grain orientations plays into how the wood turns, not to mention green vs seasoned wood or the dangers of the dreaded PITH, its a very steep curve!

I have used the epoxy (or CA) and turquoise inlay method on some tables before so thats a good idea. I also like the idea of adding some contrasting wood to the bottom. Not sure what I will do with this little bowl as I have plenty more of the mesquite. It grows all over the place here and you can pretty much bet you can collect a bunch of logs every summer when the monsoon brings down trees around most neighborhoods. They also grow so prolifically that you can be sure to find plenty through local arborists.

If anybody here would like some I can happily send some to you for the cost of shipping. It would not be hard to fill one of those large flat rate boxes with either a few small blanks or one large one. Let me know and I can go cut up a log :-)

On the tool marks and sanding issue I know I have lots of practice to do here both with turning and sharpening. One question that I have is with sharpening and is one grit better than the other and for which tools. I have the rikon slow speed grinder with 60 and 120 grit wheels. As I understand it some tools need an edge and some a burr. I can certainly get a very useable tool direct from the 60 grit wheel but should I be using the 120 grit. All very confusing anybody have any clear input here?
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • Buena Park, CA
                    • CM 21829

Jon, I use the same grinder with the same wheels. I use the 60 grit for shaping (like turning a standard bowl gouge in to a swept-back grind), and the 120 grit wheel for re-sharpening everything else. Shouldn't take more than a light pass on the 120-grit wheel to bring an edge back to most tools. Scrapers will want a slight burr, but that is a result of the sharpening. Nothing too large, or it is too fragile and won't last long.
                    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Two Much
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Long Island, NY
                      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

I think it all the bowls look great. We have a store here called Home Goods, they sell a lot
                      of turned bowls and many of them have big holes in them. And, they are quite pricy too.

Comment

Working...