• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Turning consistent parts?

It is hard to describe, but my lovely bride wants a jewelry stand for her bracelets, and necklaces similar to the one we saw at a gift shop recently.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracelet_Hanger_Small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	800978

Sorry, bad picture, but you get the idea. The stand is easy as pie, but the cross cylinders I am not sure how to go about getting 2 consistent cylinder pieces.

I was considering making a template and just using that template, and my calipers to verify I am at the diameter I need to be, where i need to be, and the shapes are where they need to be.

Is there an easier way I am not thinking of or is this the best approach?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Not being a turner I would ask if it matters is the parts are not exactly the same? I know that we all strive for perfection but... If the parts are not exactly the same it might be impossible to see by eye and nobody is going to take out the calipers and check you. The first piece of jewelry put on it makes any differences invisible. My Tiny Table legs vary somewhat and even I can't see the variation.
    capncarl

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
      • Aug 2007
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • BT-3000, 21829

Thirty years ago I was taken on a tour of Lancaster Castle in Lancaster, England. We had a chance to tour the oldest continuing court room in England located in the castle. The reason I'm posting this is that I noticed all the turned spindles in the courtroom were different.

The spindles were obviously turned using a template, but no two of the hundreds were perfectly identical. Considering the spindles were turned in the 1790's they did a pretty good job.

When I try to achieve perfection in my shop I try to remember how beautiful those spindles were even though they weren't perfect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lancaster-castle-the-crown-court-1927_80515.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	787494
      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Make two template of what you want to turn. One template should have a straight edge and marked heavy lines at the point of major or sharp cuts. Put that template next to the turning spindle and mark the on the turning spindle with a pencil or small magic marker. This tells you where the major sharp cuts are to be and keep the cuts within these parameters. (My mind is not pulling up the right terminology at the moment).

The other template would be a profile of what you want. Use it as a guide until it fits fairly close.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Either take your time and mark out all the same identical diameter changes or make them totally different. You may want to do it like that and vary the spacing between the rings or whatever that is called.
          She may have different widths of jewelery and varying them might make it easier to place some of the items
          Lee

Comment

• Carpenter96
            Established Member
            • Aug 2011
            • Barrie ON Canada
            • BT 3000

I do a fair amount of turning spindles. I have hard board templates that I use for reference but my calipers are what is used to get to the diameter of the object. You could practice on a piece of scrap. As long as you are close I don't think anyone else will notice.

Regards Bob

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I am aiming for close, not perfect copies. Sorry if I left that impression. I just want the parts to fit together right, and it to look good...

I am planning on starting that project later this week, should be fun, I think...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...