• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Proper way to remove drive center?

I have a Delta 12" lathe and recently bought a Jacobs chuck from PSI, which I am using on the tailstock.

What is the proper way to remove the chuck or drive center or anything with MT#2 taper from the tailstock without damaging them?

I came across some wedges from McMaster-Carr on a post somewhere. Is this what I need.

Thanks
    Lago
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Morse Taper is removed with the tapered tool. Slide it in the slot and give it a whack. Be ready to catch the chuck as it shoots out. Do not install morse tapers dry, wipe a thin coat of machine oil on it before installing.
    capncarl

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

To remove them from the tailstock simply use the hand crank and crank the quill back into the tailstock that will push the drive center or chuck out.
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Whaler beat me to it... At least that is the method I use with my HF lathe...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Russianwolf
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
          • One of them there Toy saws

depends on the model. Some are as Whaler mentioned. Some you use a rod to push the object out.

Both ways work for the right lathes.
          Mike
          Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• lago
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Lago Vista, TX.

Thanks for the help. Learned something new today.

First of all, can't use a rod to punch it out of the tailstock. No hole.

I tried backing the quill all the way back and the drive centers drop out. The chuck didn't and comparing it, the taper is about 1/4" longer.

My brother, a retired machinest, from DuPont, told me about this ...
            http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-drifts/=bdkygs

I looked at it and already saved myself some money. I used a small piece of wood and retracted the quill and it popped out, no problem

Thanks
            Ken

Comment

Working...