• Show
Clear All
  • BerniePA
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • San Tan Valley, AZ
    • Grizzly 0575

First Turnings

I finally got a chance to post some pictures of my first turnings. I have some questions for the group also at this point. On my first pen, I am not happy with it because I did not take the wood down far enough (too afraid) and the wood to metal finish is not good. I feel I get better as I go along. When I get to the comfort style pen, I was having a problem when I had to cut an inch of the pen down to the brass tube, in every case, the super glue would break loose and the entire turning would start to spin and I had to take it all down and reglue it and then do it again. I am using a super glue of an in house brand from that well known supplier in Utah, has anyone else had a problem with that glue, or is it me, I don't think I wasn't using enough, I was getting run off when I glued it in the first time. That is my first question. The second is when I went to make a "click" type pen vs a twist type, I got one from WoodCraft and I was not at all pleased with the quality of the hardware. It seemed cheaply plated and I had to super glue the center band into the lower barrel and I also had to super glue the top clip into the upper barrel since the "press fit" was so loose, I could press them in with my fingers. Is this just the click pen, or should I stay away from all the WoodCraft pen kits?? Well, enough talk, time to try to get some pictures in here.

The first is Rosewood w/24k brushed gold
    The second is Rosewood w/black enamal
    The third is Rosewood w/satin silver
    The fourth is Redheart w/24k bright gold
    The fifth is Purpleheart w/Rhodium

I don't have pictures yet of the click one but it was of figured mesquite w/a really brassy gold. The mesquite really turned out nice.
    Attached Files
    Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

It looks like you are off to a good start Bernie.
    Plan on ruining a few pens as you practice, they are the ones you keep around the house to use I have quite a supply of them. I suggest that you stick with inexpensive slim line kits to fine tune your turning and then step up to the more complicated and costly kits.

Which CA are you using, I recommend the medium it gives you a little more time and fills minor gaps.

I have used a lot of Woodcraft kits and have only had problems with one or two other than Woodcraft I use PSI and Craft Supply for kits.

Keep at it.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Looks like you aren't all that good at lathe work. Just pack it up and send it to me and I'll see what I can do... >-)

Okay seriously though, nice work. I keep wanting a lathe, but other goodies get in the way...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Dick recommended medium CA to eliminate your problem, and I do also. Even thick CA will do. Thin CA is known for leaving gaps - or rather not being a good "gap" filler. I would start now using at least "medium" on gluing up blanks. When you get more experience and start using $5.00 - $10.00 blanks, you will get very angry when the glue "catches" and holds before you get the tube all the way in - thereby ruining a great blank. For this reason, I went to epoxy only for all but slimlines, and that is when I am using plain blanks only. I had one tube "catch" and set - using medium CA and no way to get the tube out without ruining the blank or discoloring it by soaking it.

On all but slimlines, I use epoxy. 5 minute epoxy if I am doing one or two pens; 15 to 30 minute epoxy if I am gluing up 3 or more pen blank sets. Epoxy, along with medium and thick CA are much better at gap filling hold better in the situation that you mentioned. But Epoxy does give you notice of its "setting" with a minute to spare - unlike CA of any thickness. All of this is moot until you ruin your first $10.00 or beautiful blank. The downside is - who wants to wait until the glue sets? I want to turn a pen now!

On the click pens - I don't use WC pens as I order mine from a few vendors that ship overseas, and their prices are a little cheaper than WC. That said, the only click pen that I remember that works well is the Sierra click. Not sure what WC calls it - "Wallstreet" I think.

By an large, click pens have not been of high quality from any vendor in the past - until the click Sierra/WallStreet came along. There have been a few people with success with click pens but that has been few and far between.
        Last edited by leehljp; 04-07-2009, 06:39 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• MikeMcM1956
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2008
          • Sugar Land, TX
          • BT3100 & 1950 Delta Unisaw

Bernie,

Those look great for your first pens, can't wait to see your #100.

I stopped using CA for gluing tubes, I only use it to glue in loose caps, tips, etcetera. And for that I use medium CA, so I've got time to get it together before it sets up. For most tube gluing, I use Gorilla Glue. It's a little messy, and takes a while to dry, but it's really strong. What I'll usually do is on one night I'll cut/drill/glue a bunch of blanks and then turn them the next night or later. It's always good to have a bunch backed up for whenever the urge to turn strikes (which is fairly often). If you can't wait that long, I'd recommend using 15 minute epoxy. Whatever you use, scuff the outside of the brass tubes with some coarse sandpaper for something for the glue to 'grab'. I also put a light coating of glue inside the tube with a Q-Tip before putting glue on the tube and inserting it with a twist to spread it around.

And you will find some kits with 'iffy' quality, especially in the lower end kits. Almost every slimline I have bought from a major retailer whose name starts and ends with 'R' I have had to glue in tips and caps. I've had better luck (and quality) buying in bulk from another place at half the price....

Mike
          Last edited by MikeMcM1956; 04-07-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

First: Keep your first pen! You'll wish later you had...

Second: Make sure when you face off or mill the ends of the blanks that you are perpendicular to the tube, not necessarily to the side of the blank.

Third: Use calipers to measure your fittings, and then to check your turnings as you cut and sand (remember to allow for the finish to "fatten up" the finished piece a few thousandths, more or less, depending on the finish you use)...

Fourth: Ditto what the guys have said about medium CA, and also epoxy.

That said:
            Your work looks fine for first-off. Never be ashamed of your work, just try to make each one a little better than the one before. You're on your way down the slippery slope... You may be dead meat already.

Comment

• Tarheel
              Established Member
              • Feb 2006
              • N. Carolina

In addition to what has been suggested regarding the medium CA glue, make sure that you clean and rough up the brass tubes with a little 150 grit sandpaper.

I too have had the tubes spin on me as I turned and I figured that - a.) I didn't wait long enough for the glue to set-up. (A squirt of acelerator fixes this issue.) and b.) I didn't rough up the tube enough.

I haven't tried a click pen as I have heard horror stories about the quality of the kits.

Wayne

Comment

• seabat
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2008
                • Liberty Lake, WA

Nice first effort my friend.

Be sure to post the pics of the mesquite as that is one of my favorite woods.

The only thing I use CA for now is finishes and to stabilize spalted wood.

Lost a couple of nice blanks because of blow outs where the glue + wood did not adhere to the brass tube.

Epoxy is good but because I'm an impatient fellow and want to turn now not tomorrow, I now glue 90% of all my blanks with JB Qwik Weld.

This stuff dries in 4 minutes and (fingers crossed) I've never had one blow out.

I get mine at the local Walmart in the auto department and I think it's $3-$4 dollars.

Comment

• bfrikken
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Michigan, USA.
                  • BT-3100

I also use a thicker CA glue. Much better then the thin stuff. I finish the pens with the thin.

Like Tarheel, i clean and and sand the tubes to rough em up a little. That has made a significant difference in the quality of my glue ups.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by seabat

Epoxy is good but because I'm an impatient fellow and want to turn now not tomorrow, I now glue 90% of all my blanks with JB Qwik Weld.

This stuff dries in 4 minutes and (fingers crossed) I've never had one blow out.
                    LOL! 4 minutes . . . And 5 minute Epoxy is only one minute slower! You don't have to wait until tomorrow with that!

I glued up a coffee bean blank tonight while I was waiting on some thick CA to set on a pen. Then finished the coffee bean blank an hour later.
                    Hank Lee

Comment

• BerniePA
                      Established Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • San Tan Valley, AZ
                      • Grizzly 0575

Thanks for all the input and advice. I have been doing everything that has been suggested concerning the CA. I use a medium, scuff the tubes first w/sandpaper, twist while inserting, etc. I was wondering if the brand of CA I was using was maybe a bad brand, but I guess it is just the expeirience of everyone sooner or later that the CA will break loose on you. Seems like I will have to look into epoxy or JB weld or maybe some concrete -- yeah, that's the ticket, concrete, yeah!

I did my first acrilic today and all the while I was cussing about how messy it was, and it smelled, and it curled up around the lathe and how I would never do another one -- but they sure do come up purty!!! Now I guess I have to get now photos on here.
                      Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Mike above mentioned Gorilla glue. GG is the best gap filler. I just can't get any over here. GG has a bit of learning curve itself. It sometimes "pushes" the tube out as it expands. It is sticky and messy in ways different from epoxy and CA.

BUT it is the BEST gap filler!
                        Hank Lee

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I can't comment on any of the techincal stuff as I don't turn nor have a clue but... the pens look nice to me.

Comment

• jcjrsmith
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Mechanicsburg, PA, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Nice work, Bernie. Turning pens really is a lot of fun, isn't it?
                            Jerry in PA
                            ...Can't sleep, clown will eat me...
                            http://home.comcast.net/~jcjrsmith2

Comment

Working...