• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Router stand, router rest, Router sitter

Working handheld router with the dovetail jig was a lot of operations.
    After you make the cut you have to set the router down somewhere and of course with the template guide and the router bit both protruding from below the baseplate you can't set it down right side up, the usual for me is to let it flip it by the ball handles and set it down on its flat top.
    They you have to flip it next time you use it and the cord gets all twisted if you flip it one way all the time. And the sharp bit is protruding and might be a hazard.
    I always wait for the bit to spin down before I remove it from the jig template lest I nick something with the spinning bit (DAMHIKT) but for other work you can also put the router down while its still spinning and want not to damage anything.

Sometime back I made a router stand from a magazine that was all nice and designed,
    Some number of years ago, probably around 10 years or so, I found plans and built this router rest for when you do handheld work with a router and need a place to set it down so the still spinning bit is off the table. The classic way to do this is to simply flip the router upside down and set it on its top. But this rest was

but here I wanted something smaller and besides I misplaced my router rest.
    I intended to throw this together quickly but I got detoured into making a jig to cut and drill the round standoffs I used.

I Frankly shot from the hip on this one using scrap wood, freehanded most stuff and did not measure and use marking tools for hardly anything... I just poked a hole where eyeballs said it looked right, quite a different tack from my usual careful design.
    One inch standoffs and a half inch recess in the base, I can put a router with a 2 inch long and 2 inch diameter bit in it... not necessarily both at the same time, either long or wide - you'd be kinda nuts to put a 2 inch diameter and 2 inch long bit in a handheld router.
    Anyway fits OK, didn't get to use it yet since I finished the second dovetail planter box this afternoon.

One inch standoffs were a waste of time... should have just cut two strips of wood one inch wide and glued those in there. Looks cute, though.
    I have a wild hair to use a small radius roundover bit on the inside of that curve....

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240329_023344.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.3 KB ID:	858367 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240329_023353.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.3 KB ID:	858369 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240329_023402.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.1 KB ID:	858368 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240329_023339.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.8 KB ID:	858370 Click image for larger version  Name:	20240329_023307.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.5 KB ID:	858371

Anybody see the piece of scrap wood that is the cutoff from the top piece of dog-ear picket fence board?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-30-2024, 11:50 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Good idea Loring as long as you can remember where you put it for the next time you need it. I can see how useful for fixed base routers. Plunge routers not so much, although if the cutter diameter is larger than the template guide bushing this would be a big help.
    I miss the Rod Kirby days; can you imagine how his solution to this would be?
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      This one's a lot smaller... the old one was large and took too much storage room so I put it in a box... I think I know which one but I can't get to it that easily.

Yeah, and of course, plunge routers retract the bit so you can set it on the base with no issue.
      The main use I have had for plunge routers is for lettering templates where you need to plunge into each letter. Also for repetitive guided cuts where you need to take it in increments, lowering the bit for each pass. Maybe good for doubly stopped dadoes - stopped on each end.
      I use fixed base routers for edge forming, some grooving and dadoes and rabbets, and trimming and for the dovetail templates.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-30-2024, 01:02 AM.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

"Anybody see the piece of scrap wood that is the cutoff from the top piece of dog-ear picket fence board?"

No, Looked for it but didn't see it. I did see your glasses and the edge of your finger in one photo!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
      "Anybody see the piece of scrap wood that is the cutoff from the top piece of dog-ear picket fence board?"

No, Looked for it but didn't see it. I did see your glasses and the edge of your finger in one photo!
      Here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	64
Size:	479.0 KB
ID:	858380
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
        leehljp commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, I was looking for a small triangle piece cut off the top corners. Thanks for the outline! :-)
    • LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I did find my old router stand... in the box clearly marked Bosch router bases with the spare router plate and Bosch table mount base and the plunge base.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	348.3 KB ID:	858386

Now I have two to lose track of.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-30-2024, 11:35 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...