• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

What's wrong with this guy's shop?

I was watching this video on the internet.
    One thing caught my eye/ What's wrong with this guy's shop setup?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	504.4 KB ID:	856983
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-16-2023, 01:39 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Is this like one of those where's Waldo things?

The first thing that jumps out at me is that the drill press is unusable where it is because there is no room to grab the handle and you can't open the top to change speeds so it must be moved out of its cubby.
    There is also sheet of plywood and a Festool MFT/3 table in front of his drawers.
    Who would by IKEA cabinets for their woodshop when they could make their own. (Nevermind, I did that in my prior shop)
    Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Exactly! That jumped out at me, too, either the guy doesn't use his drill press at all or he never changes the speed (a lot of people actually are guilty of that) because with the low clearance over the belt compartment lid which is hinged on the side, there's no way he can open that lid to access the belts to change the speed. A secondary issue is that there seems to be little room to grab the quill elevation handles.

I change my speed all the time to suit the bit, hole size and material being drilled.

Its not really wrong but all dozens his tools are deWalt yellow except for the Bosch Palm router he is working with and a Delta Drill press.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-18-2023, 07:29 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
        twistsol commented
        Editing a comment
        Therein lies one of the fabulous things about a Shopsmith. Variable speed drill press with the turn of a dial. Of course the minimum speed of 750 rpm without the power pro headstock or an add-on speed reducer is a drawback.
    • cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Yes, but is that an optical illusion? Look at the base of the drill press and the depth of the bench top. In the photo it appears that he has eight or so inches in front of the drill press and about a foot or so behind it. He can probably partially open top as it is (not enough to change the belt position), but he could move the press forward enough, perhaps). I do agree that he probably rarely adjusts the belt.

I have a Ridgid 1550 floor standing drill press and on first positioning it in my shop, I had placed it back too close to the wall. I went to adjust the belt and found I couldn't tip the lid back all the way and had to move my press forward a few inches. One of shortcomings I had was remembering what speed I had the belts positioned to. As a remedy, I made some small magnetic labels that I keep in a small container on the DP tray. I stick the current RPM to the front, right above the quill, so I'll know at a glance, without having to lift the cover to check.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        Except it's recommended to bolt down your DP base to the table; DP are notoriously top heavy.

• cwsmith
        cwsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point!

I can't see the DP's base clear enough to see that he has done that. It almost looks like it's sitting within a framed box.

CWS
    Working...