• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

New Kreg Pockethole jig 720 PRO

I broke down and bought the fairly recent Kreg Pockethole jig 720 Pro - even though I have one about 2-3 generations older that still works fine.

It was on sale, and I liked how they have improved it.

My old one is in a blowmold case... The storage spot for the bit doesn't allow the collar to be stored in the usual position, and the bits and drivers always fall out. This one has storage in the base and everything snaps neatly into position and the bit storage has not only room for the collar at any usable position but also has an index for adjusting it in place.
    Another improvement is that they've gone to a step drill bit with a hex quick change style shank end instead of leaving the shank at the head cutter 3/8" diameter step all the way to the end. This makes it easy if you have one drill driver and you are changing the pockethole step drill with the long Robertson square drive bits. Constantly swapping between 3/8" and 1/4" hex was a bit of a pain; more than a couple of holes I always made sure I had two drill/driver tools with the old jig!

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2151147.jpg Views:	0 Size:	119.4 KB ID:	854057

Aside from better storage this can be turned 90 degrees for horizontal or vertical drilling of pocket holes, and has wings and supports.
    And unlike my old one with no dust port, this one has a dust port that can installed from either left or right. A nice touch
    Finally instead of having to wrestle with a stack of height adapters for each thickness, and monkey with the clamp tension, this one has a self adjusting clamping mechanism that adjusts height to each workpiece.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P2151146.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.8 KB ID:	854058

Downsides:
    doesn't come with the face clamp (which I have one of from the old kit) or the mini-jigs which have come in handy
    losing the slim blow mold case about which I expressed complaints above and the new cardboard storage box is bulkier.

Overall I like the engineering thought that went into this kit.

official Kreg photo:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	435.8 KB ID:	854059
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-15-2023, 11:43 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • nicer20
    Established Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Dublin, CA
    • BT3100

Hi Loring,

I have walked the same path. Bought this exact version Kreg 720 Pro - although I was able to get a special edition kit on sale. That special edition kit included a face clamp, a single hole pocket hole jig 310 and a couple boxes of screws.

My earlier version was the basic Kreg R3. I have built a shop made clamping station for it. It worked but I would have to be careful about the adjustments, clamping had to be readjusted to match material thickness and dust collection was crying for improvement.

Extremely happy with the 720 Pro. The two most important things, No more fighting with the clamp adjustment as it automatically adjusts. And dust collection is awesome.

Attached Files

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I'm still quite enjoying using my Drill Master (Harbor Freight) pocket hole jig, BUT.... that integrated dust port is a REALLY nice feature!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...