Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Cheap digital calipers

OK, I got some real cheap digital calipers on TEMU.com
    $2.44 each. Free shipping. Came in about a week.
    I didn't read the fine print. Only measures to .01 inches indicated unlike the metal ones we get from HF for $20 with .001"​

Click image for larger version

Name:	temu calipers.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	853347 Click image for larger version

Name:	PC240005.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	853348

I knew that they were plastic but did not see the .01" limitation.
    Fit and finish is poor, the jaws close with no gap, but the jaws are not co-planar by about .050 at the tips.
    Still, for $2.44 they are good enough for woodworking and to throw around the workbench without worrying about them.

if you want some sacrificial calipers these are them.

https://www.temu.com/digital-caliper...allery_id=2331 725&refer_page_sn=10132&refer_source=0&freesia_sce ne=116&refer_page_el_sn=201401&_x_channel_scene=sp ike&_x_channel_src=1&_x_vst_scene=adg&_x_ads_sub_c hannel=search&_x_login_type=Google&_x_ads_channel= google&_x_ads_account=9554406874&_x_ads_set=182065 05241&_x_ads_id=141304411392&_x_ads_creative_id=61 9446681013&_x_ns_source=g&_x_ns_gclid=Cj0KCQiA45qd BhD-ARIsAOHbVdHy-XiYqbb2BfbB4PXGZBs8S093-OO_EmbmPO6SDG53JNUIs0wjB5MaAhj0EALw_wcB&_x_ns_plac ement=&_x_ns_match_type=e&_x_ns_ad_position=&_x_ns _product_id=&_x_ns_target=&_x_ns_devicemodel=&_x_n s_wbraid=CjgKCAiAwJWdBhAYEigA9SsLmmu4ea56utnLNEQAn qQOPrAkAiG_6LFqw71r2N85Cl2LFHIpGgKPvQ&_x_ns_gbraid =0AAAAAo4mICEDQZSpkucTm6oAnUA4k1vEh&_x_ns_keyword= temu&_x_sessn_id=q8dbr47apl&refer_page_name=lightn ing-deals&refer_page_id=10132_1671871748367_r7mngib2k4
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-24-2022, 02:56 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Actually it states the measurement accuracy is 0.1 not 0.01.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      Poor description, says .1 but doesn't say mm or inches; i presume that's mm after looking at the listing pictures showing .1 mm and .01 inch resolution.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-25-2022, 02:39 AM.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

It states 0.1 mm accuracy, which is about 0.004 inches, so 0.01 inch accuracy is correct. Regardless, still plenty accurate for woodworking.

They may be doing the demand pricing thing as well, shows $3.99 for me and notes they have sold a lot.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Hmm. Not sure the name brand of my first one, but I have 2 digital calipers, one from HF, and another more or less the same thing from Amazon. Accuracy is about .001" which is more than enough for woodworking, and depending on the application, pretty danged close for machining...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I hate it when I see a good deal and don't read the fine print, or . . . I miss a single sentence in a big paragraph that makes it into something that I can't use!

On that caliper - the one item that says "no" for me is "plastic". I haven't yet found a set of calipers made of plastic that are accurate.
        Last edited by leehljp; 12-26-2022, 06:53 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp
          I hate it when I see a good deal and don't read the fine print, or . . . I miss a single sentence in a big paragraph that makes it into something that I can't use!

On that caliper - the one item that says "no" for me is "plastic". I haven't yet found a set of calipers made of plastic that are accurate.
          In the the late 1980 I came across my first digital calipers... made by Fowler in stainless steel, at work. I liked them a lot but they were quite expensive and when I found Fowler was offering a plastic set for about $100 I bought my first pair... they were every bit as accurate as the metal ones to .001" and I only stopped using them about 3 months ago when the battery tab corroded off. I am holding onto them for possible repair as that is the only issue. They lacked the probe at the far end for depth probing and the jaws are soft so can't be used for accurate scribing as I have since learned to do with the stainless ones. But other than they were perfectly capable and accurate and that set lived in my drill bit drawer for double checking bit sizes.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• nicer20
            Established Member
            • Sep 2007
            • Dublin, CA
            • BT3100

Thanks for the post, Loring. At least got to know this Temu site is a legit. I had it appear at times on my facebook feed with some incredible looking deals. Of course, I know they can be some questionable quality. But at least good to know that it is not one of those where you send money and then there is no response.

Comment

Working...