Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Downcut Router Bit Photo Backwards?

For your router bit savvy guys (and ladies if any are on here) -

Isn't this photo of an UPCut bit? It says DownCut.

If you go to Amazon and search for Downcut Bits, it will show correctly there, and it is different on Amazon than on the MLC site in that link.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I think the picture is misleading as to where you would think the cutting edge is as drawn.

Downcut is when the router is in a handheld position and the bit is spinning clockwise. I believe MCLS is correct.
    Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think its right. Router traditional directions as discussed in previous threads recently are with the router hand held and the router turning clockwise as you look down on it.

Looking at the link in your post the clockwise rotation will be pushing material in the flutes downwards.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

OK, Below is what threw me off. There is something wrong with the MLC picture, listed first below. It looks like they took a picture of an uPCut and reversed it to look like a down cut. There is something wrong with the way the cutting edges show. An example is a comparison to one on Amazon.

MLC's down cut. It looks like it is supposed to cut as an uPcut by the very bottom of the cutting edge of the blade; at best, the edge as shown will "scrape" the bottom if done as a plunge:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	MLC downcut.png Views:	0 Size:	103.9 KB ID:	849607

Now look at a DownCut from a pict on Amazon. The cutting bottom edge is clearly visible:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Amazon down cut.png Views:	0 Size:	64.5 KB ID:	849608

Yes, I know down cuts are meant to be through cuts, but in some cases, a down cut is needed to penetrate and go through the wood to get started, therefore needing a sharp bottom edge that CUTS.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by leehljp; 03-28-2022, 08:41 AM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...