Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

PSA: Note of caution concerning PSI Barracuda2 Lathe Chuck

Hi all,
    Been a while since I've posted here, or done any real woodworking or woodturning - until recently, when I started turning this little batch of mug/stein lids.

About 3 years back, I bought my 4th PSI chuck - I owned 2 of the "economy" chucks, and a mini, and liked them well enough to add a Barracuda2 to the collection, mainly for the single chuck key which would be useful for one-handed tightening when bowl-turning. I tried the chuck out once after it arrived, before the pandemic, after which I got swamped with work at the day job and have had no time to spend in the shop.

A friend recently asked me to make mug/stein lids (to be laser engraved for our soccer club, FCB Anaheim) - and I decided to use the Barracuda2 chuck with some large jaws to get an external grip on the ~3.75in OD of the white-oak blanks I'd cut. On the first one - I'd managed to round half the exterior of the blank, and at about 2500 rpm was starting to cut the tenon (which would fit into the top of the mug) - when BANG! and I'm left staring at a chuck with no blank - and no jaws!

The picture below with my finger under my faceshield points out the gouge in the polycarbonate made by a chuck jaw, without which may have take my eye, broken facial bones, required stitches, etc. I found all the pieces scattered about the shop - one hit and broke the dust hood on my smaller lathe just behind the one I was working at. I remounted the jaws on my dependable economy chuck and finished the project. But it appears the culprit was poor manufacturing quality control. You'll see in the other pictures (1) no scroll ring is visible when looking down into the channel where the jaws mount; (2) where the very large C-clip that holds the scroll ring into the chuck body is not seated where it should be - and I believe never was. I'd been lucky not to have this happen when I first tried it out. If you own this chuck, please check to ensure the C-clip is properly seated before you use it again. And PLEASE make sure you always use an impact-rated face shield when turning.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Bill in Buena Park
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Glad to see you back, and... eek! Good to know as the Barracuda chuck is on my wish list... I can single hand a regular chuck but I have really big hands... I am a bit shocked at this failure...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Bill in Buena Park commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dave. I was shocked as well, as the other PSI chucks are great. So I tentatively chalk this up to a one-off manufacturing issue. In further forensics, I discovered the C-clip COULDN'T seat in the slot, because the scroll-ring was too thick to allow it - i.e., it was not sufficiently machined to spec. Again, hoping this is a one-off issue.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Is there a model number or series that everyone should check to see if they have the same Chuck?
    You don’t get any bragging rights if you didn’t loose any meat! It sure could have gone badly if the metal jaw pieces had found their way behind your shield.

I’ve seen quite a few aw-crap moments with metal lathes that miraculously didn’t turn out as bad as they could have. lathes can hurt you really bad and really quick.

I had a band saw kick back after thanksgiving that knocked off about a dime size chunk of wrist meat….. I just unplugged the saw and locked up the shop until my nerves calmed down.

Comment

• leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Thanks Bill, I have a Barracuda2 and have used it quite a bit. I have 3 full size chucks and alternate using them for different reasons. I will check it out closely in the coming weeks. Thanks for posting this. Glad you are OK.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Bill in Buena Park commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hank. I'm actually glad I got hit in the face shield, as it likely would have bruised if it hit me in the chest; also, first time I've been hit in the face shield with anything, so for me it was untested - but now I know I can trust it .
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Yikes. A good reason and reminder to visually inspect stuff before you use it... even if "it worked fine last time." Wheels on grinders, router bit carbide and/or bearings, any saw blade, etc... I'll add my Nova chuck to the "eyeball it first" list.

mpc

Comment

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      Good that you mentioned grinder wheels. IMO grinder wheels might be the item to go badly the quickest in a shop. I’ve seen a couple of grinder wheels explode and completely destroy the grinder wheel housing and cause some loss of meat. 3600 rpm grinders are to taken seriously, and never grind aluminum on one.
Working...