• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Brother in law and Festool rant

My brother in law has on occasion given me crap about my collection of Festools and in particular my Kapex. I paid $1200 for it in 2008 (or my wife did anyway). They now go for around $1500. He asked me how I could possibly justify that expense.

Below is is a picture of the results of a search for miter saws on Amazon, and after four pages of results, only Metabo offers a saw with the one feature I refuse to live without that the Kapex also has.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 7.34.08 PM.png
Views:	152
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	846090

I'm left handed.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	kapex-capacity.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	846091
    Chr's
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

In a discussion on the Pen Forum the other day, one thread centered on all the tools that we have two or three or more of because we loose the tool and buy another one, or two, or three. I mentioned that I intentionally buy Yellow, or bright green or white tools as all others including "red" can hide in plain sight or in the case of red and most other colors will hide in the shadows.

Then I added that the exception to the colors is that I the two Festool tools I own are so expensive that I know where they are at ALL times, even when I am 1000 miles away. One other guy said the same thing about His Festools. And he does not loan his Festools to ANYONE and he paints his camouflage so no one will see them!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Like the wise man said…. Buy your last saw first. That also goes for other tools too. Quality tools means different things to a lot of people, so a sliding miter saw that cuts an accurate angle and doesn’t spew sawdust all over the room might not make much sense to someone that works with a $99 budget slider. I tell people that raise their eyebrows when they hear how much a SawStop cost, but they agree when they are reminded that one hand accident could easily cost more than 8 SawStops.

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I have two BILs that do woodworking and consider anything less than PM or PC to be not worth considering. I'm sure they would frown on my shop full of Ryobi tools, but it doesn't seem to impact what I can do with wood. Imagine my Ryobi BT3000 (circa 1993) still runs and cuts like it did back then. I do have a drill press, scroll-saw, and jointer with Delta name plates. After 28 years of serious woodworking, I have yet to replace any of these tools due to failure. Guess I'm just lucky or maybe as my Grampa used to say "It's a poor workman that blames his tools."
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...