X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Did I fry my Dust Collector? Electrical help

I bought a used laguna cflux 1 on Craigslist. I stupidly assumed it was 240v because it had a 240v twit lock plug and plugged it in. Motor turned on briefly and the onboard circuit breaker tripped. Realization dawned and I realized it was wired to 110. Initially planned to rewire to 240 but found out you need to order a new switch assembly which weren't cheap. So I decided to keep it 110 and added a 30 amp breaker (10gauge) wiring and hooked it up. Now the switch lights up when I turn it on but nothing else. No smoke and I don't see any burnt parts. Any hope , suggestions on what to test or am I sol and need a whole new switch assembly?

Link to manual
    https://860860.app.netsuite.com/core/med...9&_xt=.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jussi; 06-27-2021, 11:07 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Well, the real question is, did the breaker blow to protect the motor or did the breaker blow because the motor wiring shorted out from the overvoltage and the breaker was simply reacting to the now shorted motor.

Based on your description it sounds like the latter. However, if the motor really was shorted, would it trip if wired for 120?

Not enough information. Not even sure why there is a circuit board and where and how you change over from 120 to 240? Induction motors you usually change serial windings to parallel winding.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-28-2021, 01:41 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Loring... Laguna devices typically use an electronic equivalent to a "magnetic switch" rather than a plain switch like the BT3. Once turned ON by the operator, magnetic switches need ACpower to remain ON. If power fails the switch automatically reverts to the OFF state. The idea is that a tool will not turn ON after a power failure; the BT3 would restart as soon as power was restored unless you remembered to hit the OFF switch while the lights were out. Laguna uses different electronic circuits for 120 versus 240 volts... besides any motor parallel versus serial wiring changes you find on many tools. I don't have good schematics of Laguna's electronics board to figure out what might have fried. If the whole electronic board plus motor assembly were in my shop I might be able to debug it as I have basic electronic test equipment and thus could test most of the components individually.

mpc

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

If it was mine I would build a test 110 v extension cord and wire straight to the motor circuitry, skip all of the motor starter and circuit board stuff, just to see if the motor was ok. That done the rest of the board could be tested, and you can sleep better. If the board is fried you can always build your own box with a contactor and remote start just so you can use the collector while you find replacement parts.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

If they had separate control boards for 120 and for 240 then I suspect that the board is fried. Capncarl's suggestion to test the motor is a good one.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Thanks for the replies. As you guys suggested the board is probably fried. I shorted the L2 and M2 wires and motor turned on as soon as I flipped the breaker. Laguna service rep says I can order a replacement board and can get it for either 110 or 220. Normally I would have gone 220 right away to gain the benefit of lower current draw but I already spent all the time and money to wire it 110 so I'm undecided. Any other benefit going 220?

Comment

• mpc
              • Feb 2005
              • Cypress, CA, USA.
              • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I have a Laguna 1.5 HP P|Flux cyclone - the HEPA version of your dust collector. Mine is set up for 110 volts. It will trip some, but not all, 20 amp breakers when starting. Once running I've never had it trip a 20 amp circuit. Thus, I can move it around if I need/want to as my shop has several 120 volt/20 amp outlets; half seem to work with the Laguna. If I'd known in advance that I'd be buying this thing I would have run a 30 amp outlet, or a 220 outlet, for it...

One thing about 110 vs. 220 volt devices: 110 volt devices draw all current through one leg of the 240 volts feeding your house and electrical boxes/panels. 220 volt devices draw half as much current and draw it from both legs/sides of the panel. If your shop is fed by a sub-panel, you may find putting that large 110 volt draw on one side limits what other tools you can use on that panel leg. I.e. you may find the outlet convenient for a powerful table saw is also on that leg resulting in the total current draw being too much for the main breaker of the panel. For example: assume you have "50 amp" service to the shop sub-panel so you can draw 50 amps from each leg. With ~20 amps going to the Laguna, some amps for lighting, some amps for the overhead air filter, that totals around 40 amps. Trying to run another tool (needing 10 or more amps) on that same leg could trip the sub-panel's 50 amp main breaker. That's somewhat of a worse-case situation. If the dust collector was wired for 220 instead, it'd draw 9 to 10 amps so you'd have 20 amps remaining on that leg. Is A/C a possible shop option? If so, it'll want 10 to 20 amps per leg too. It boils down to a) how many amps are available in your shop power feed and b) are the outlets/circuits distributed such that your tool use patterns do not concentrate the loading on just one leg of the panel?

By the way: I've found my Laguna occasionally fails to respond to the front panel power switch to turn ON or OFF. Bad switch? Electronics board that didn't initialize properly when I plugged the Laguna in? I don't know; usually unplugging it for a moment fixes it. I unplug everything in my shop at the end of the day as a safety thing and to minimize damage if a power surge hits. The Laguna's remote has always worked when the front panel switch was unresponsive. I've had my unit a few years now; the stick-on skin of the remote un-stuck. It actually works better without it; the buttons need less force to work properly.

mpc
              Last edited by mpc; 06-28-2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Was there ever a resolution?
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Yes I replaced the board and it fired right up. I decided to go with a 110v. Ordered a remote as well. It works great and am happy with it except for the size dust bin. It’s smaller than my previous dc

Comment

Working...