Intriguing - a double-side tape strong enough to a floating shelf...?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Intriguing - a double-side tape strong enough to a floating shelf...?!

I was idly looking for industry strength scales for curiosity's sake, and came across this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	invisitapenew__86189.1597181255.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.1 KB ID:	842293

here's the link https://scaledepot.com/new-invisitap...as-seen-on-tv/

that claims this

Click image for larger version

Name:	invisitape1__72385.1597181256.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	842298

I don't know if I'd ever trust a tape to hold something in the shower, but it sure intrigued me.

Anybody think their claim could be substantiated?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah, I think I bought a roll of that stuff. It was like $10.

I tried to use it to hold a Roku smart-TV adapter module to the underside of my TV, its small and light and has a power cord and HDMI cord attached to the back. Plastic to plastic.

I had tried hot melt glue it peeled off after a few days. And this invisitape, it also peeled off after a few days even after cleaning both sides really well.

The tape is about 1/16th inch thick and very pliable so it conforms well but leaves a gap. The stuff has a consistency of snot. A single strip would rock easily along its length. Its really tacky.

I don't recommend it.

Personally I don't trust any adhesive to fasten an important and weighty load to a wall under shear load- where the forces are acting as a lever to rip the adhesive away. Mechanical fasteners!
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-21-2021, 12:53 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks - I can cross that off my list of things to try....
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

3M VHB is a very important item in my solutions arsenal, but pretty sure it can't do a levered load like that for long either. Though I might be surprised. The thicker the shelf, the more likely it will succeed. I'd consider it possible if you could apply two 1" strips, so that the load becomes a straight pull against the top one, not a peel pull. These tapes are specifically designed to be able to be peeled without leaving anything behind. I have VHB holding light outdoor stuff just fine, even on concrete walls and stucco.

Comment

• d_meister
          Established Member
          • Feb 2009
          • La Conner, WA.
          • BT3000

I've used THIS 3M tape for many years in applications that have surprised me. Years ago, when installing marine electronics, I was going to attach a microphone clip near the helm, but coulddn't reach the owner to ask if he would prefer it to the right or the left of the helm. I cut two pieces of that tape and fit it to where the screws would mount it. and stuck it where I would have wanted it.

Name:	mic_clip.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	842319
          Years later, it's seen a lot of use and is still stuck there by the same tape.

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

My boats have been full of VHB, even in splash areas, or a wet hot bilge, with nearly perfect results.

Comment

• d_meister
              Established Member
              • Feb 2009
              • La Conner, WA.
              • BT3000

Originally posted by Carlos
              My boats have been full of VHB, even in splash areas, or a wet hot bilge, with nearly perfect results.
              Could you be more specific about which "VHB" product you mean? I searched 3M and had so many different products listed, that I'm still wondering. I'm always on the lookout for useful technology, and 3M is one of my favorite companies. To paraphrase Vince (the Sham-Wow guy): "We all know 3M makes good stuff"

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

As far as I know, all of the gray tapes with red cover are VHB. I have no idea if there are differences, but I just used them interchangeably. Keep in mind that Scotch is a 3M brand and at least one of my rolls was branded that way.

Name:	IMG_7895.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	842325

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I looked it up, the stuff I got was double sided Nano tape
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• d_meister
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • La Conner, WA.
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by Carlos
                    As far as I know, all of the gray tapes with red cover are VHB. I have no idea if there are differences, but I just used them interchangeably. Keep in mind that Scotch is a 3M brand and at least one of my rolls was branded that way.

Name:	IMG_7895.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	842325
                    I'm jealous. Looks like at least $100 worth of tape, there, and thanks for the clarification.
                    It looks like the same product I buy at Home Depot, but I notice that there are two similar 3M products, now. I am used to the gray stuff, but there is now extra heavy duty black tape with the same red release film on it.

Comment

Working...