• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Saying Goodbye To An Old Tool...

Back in 1977, I purchased an Ace Professional natural bristle brush at the local Ace Hardware Store for one of my first furniture finishing projects. It has been my go to varnishing tool ever since and I have scrupulously cleaned and cared for it ever since. It has laid down innumerable coats of varnish for decades. Last month, I was laying down an application of semi-gloss poly as a final coat on a table top. Hours later, I went down to the shop to check on things and discovered severe streaking in the varnish from the dulling agent. I sanded things off and redid the application with the same result. OK, maybe the varnish was old, so a trip to the store for a fresh can of varnish. Same result with the new stuff. All of the varnish was throughly stirred prior to and during use. MinWax was stumped as was the store owner. I bought a third can of poly, sanded off the offending varnish coat, and applied a new application with a new brush. Viola! No streaking! So, my old friend, the Ace brush, will be retired to lesser duties after 40 plus years of faithful service. $9.95 well spent
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

That is impressive brush care! A good brush is worth taking the time to clean. That must have been a mighty fine brush. The inflation adjusted amount in 2020 would be $26.30!!! About 61 cents per year over the 43 years of use. A bargain. You made a bold, but wise purchase.
    You remembered the price? Was that because it was a relatively pricey investment for a brush?
    Hopefully you can find an even better performance brush now, given (hopefully) technological advances. Ace doesn't sell any brushes that expensive now (inflation adjusted).

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

The original price tag is still on the brush wrapper! I had to replace the string that ties the wrapper on, but everything is pretty much just like when the brush was new. I have long since been using brushes by Wooster with great results.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

$9.95 in 1977! That was an expensive brush in its day and wouldn't be a cheap one today. If the new brush is of similar quality, what did you choose for its replacement?
        Chr's

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Saying Goodbye To An Old Tool...
          For a second, I thought you were kicking me off the forum.

Comment

• Jim Frye
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Maumee, OH, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by twistsol
            $9.95 in 1977! That was an expensive brush in its day and wouldn't be a cheap one today. If the new brush is of similar quality, what did you choose for its replacement?
            I used a Wooster Journeyman natural bristle brush I have had for several years now It's not quite as great as the old Ace Professional brush, but laid down a very nice finish though. It doesn't have quite as large a reservoir as the old Ace does, but it does flow out well and tips off nicely. Don't recall what I paid for it.
            Jim Frye
            The Nut in the Cellar.
            ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

I find it fascinating that the store brand brush was the finest you have used (and was probably one of the most expensive). I find it sad that you haven't found a brush that was as satisfying.
              Have you considered the Oval Varnish Brushes offered by Lee Valley? They are comparable in price (in adjusted dollars) to your favorite brush - and based on their description and appearance they likely have a very large reservoir. (I have zero experience with this brush).
              You may also want to consider the Japanese Varnish Brush at Lee Valley. Again, zero experience with this brush. I just admire your commitment to that favorite brush!

Comment

Working...