• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Best Corded Jigsaw

I'm thinking about upgrading my jigsaw. I have the Grizzly clone of the Bosch now. Is the Bosch still thought of by most as the best available? Which model? Bosch has 2 barrel grip saws and 4 top grip models on their website.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a Bosch JS470E
    I only used it a few times but it was very nice to use, compared to my old B&D jigsaw.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	bosch-js470e-jig-saw-1_4520171850458932756.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	844239
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-23-2021, 12:19 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Yes, to me the Bosch is the best overall. I have a corded Bosch; don't remember which model. I have not had any problems cutting with it, especially on thicker boards. A lot depends on the blade and the user when it comes to blade deflection in curves, but the saws smoothness and lack of vibration contribute to both easier cutting and decrease in hand fatigue.

Beware of something small that can be easily overlooked: Down cutting blades. they make the Jigsaw bounce. I was in HF last week and saw some nice looking blades being discontinued. Looked great but then I noticed they were down cutting. I posted a thread on this forum a couple of years ago about that.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Condoman44
        Established Member
        • Nov 2013
        • CT near Norwich
        • Ryobi BT3000

I have the Bosch 1587VS from many years ago (mid 90's) and it has been great. I just used it for opening a kitchen sink hole that needed to be made bigger.

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

I have the older (discontiuned? ) Bosch 1590. Works very well. Recently I wanted a cordless version to break down rough stock and got the Milwaukee. I really like that saw. Lots of power for a cordless and about as accurate as the Bosch. I got it with a package deal with 2 batteries and charger but if you already have batteries from another mfg many of them are offering deals on their cordless tools including the jigsaws. I found that none of the saws I've ever used however will give you perfectly square edges. That's including a Festool Carvex I had and sold because I thought it under performed for the price.

If you have $500+ burning a whole in your wallet however you may want to take a look at the Mafell P1cc. From what I can tell it's the best jigsaw out there and actually does produce square edges.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

I like my Bosch 1590 jigsaw, but I often wonder if I'd like the barrel grip one better than the top handle one I have now. It seems like you'd get more control with the barrel grip one.

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I used to have the Bosch 1590 which was light years ahead of my old Black and Decker. I replaced it with the Festool Carvex 420 PSB. I think it is better for the following reasons. The zero clearance splinter guard and the orbital blade path make for cleaner cuts. The strobe at the blade makes it appear that the blade is stationary so it is easier to follow a line precisely, The dust collection mostly keeps dust out of the cut path again making easier to see the line. Whether that makes it worth more than twice the price is a tiresome debate I have with the brother in laws at every holiday.

It will use standard Bosch T format blades so you don't need to continue to throw money at Festool once you buy it.
              Chr's

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Paul's comment is something else I wanted to get opinions on. Most of us have used the top handle versions for years. Those of you who have also used barrel grips, which do you prefer and why?

Hope to get some input in time to get my choice on the Christmas wish list!
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

I decided to go with the barrel grip version of the one Loring has. The JS470EB is much heavier than I expected. I read the manual but I haven't tried it out yet.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Sofia KAtherne
                    Handtools only
                    • May 2021

Yeah if you are looking for best corded jigsaw here but if you want to go with the best barrel grip jigsaw of the one Loring has. you can read reviews of quality on that webstie. I read the manual and also tried it is best yet.

Comment

Working...