• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I have reservations believing anything that is stated in a review. Too much pressure by the seller for the buyer to give a prompt review. A truthful prompt review would be..... it looks like it was shipped in a nice brown cardboard box. A truthful, but not prompt review would be filed many weeks later stating that the merchandise was great, or wasn’t worth the plastic they bubble wrapped it with, or it was loud or worked just a advertised. ​​​​​

i recently recieved a request for help from Amazon regarding a Grizzly 48”x1” belt sander I had purchased. Someone had asked a question on how to adjust the disk sander on this machine, and the motor mounts did not allow enough movement for the disk to clear the support! I did a quick check to satisfy my thoughts, the sander disk is mounted on a shaft and belt driven, the motor mount does nothing to adjust the disk. I replied back that the user should refer to page xx of the user manual Where it states that disk adjustment is accomplished by loosening the set screw on the disk and sliding it to the desired position. Clearly a case where the reviewer didn’t even look at the user manual.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by d_meister
      Had a look at the Metabo tape, but could find NO info on proper application. Does one just stick it on and hope for the best? How about applying it linearly in multiple rows on the inside surface? Maybe there's a catalyst/accelerator that isn't available in the U.S. It's hard to imagine that various outlets sell this material for $30+ and it's completely useless.

While looking at the Metabo google results, I found this:.
      https://www.sheldahl.com/technology/...splicing-tapes

They specify "thermosetting" in their ad copy. Perhaps the lone Metabo reviewer missed the instructions (in German?) about using the iron to melt the adhesive into the fabric. Speaking of destroying SWIMBO's iron, I seem to recall reading about using heat to release PVA glued parts, so maybe using heat to achieve improved penetration could help?
      Fun topic, too bad I don't have sanding belts to go all mad scientist on.
      It might be that you need to "iron" them for thermosetting to work.
      But at $30 a roll and limited use its beyond the budget vs $10 for a 10 new belts. Besides, the $30 tape won't last more than a year if the joints don't last more than a year.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-17-2020, 07:01 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

The 3 x 21 belts on my belt sander aren't too bad to replace but it gets EXPENSIVE when the belts on the belt/disc sander or the wide belt sander break.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

Working...