How much finish is left in my rattle can? Measure the weight.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

How much finish is left in my rattle can? Measure the weight.

I was using an old rattle spray can of finish and it felt mostly empty.
    I was hoping there was enough left for a couple of coats.

I bought a new can at Lowes and the it occurred to me how to get an estimation.

The can is labeled with a net weight in Oz which is the weight of the finish. it says 11.5 Oz, 326 grams.

I have a digital scale for about 10 or 20 pounds max. measured the new can at 445 grams. And set the zero or tare at that. Then I measured the old can and it showed -255 grams. Which means it was 255 grams less or I had used 255 of the 326 original grams so I had used about 78% and there was still 22 % left.

I think It will probably be a good idea to weigh new cans and mark them. so I have a reference as to how much remains.
    One thing that makes sense is weigh before and after one coat and see how much weight it takes for one coat to estimate how many coats are left.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I do this with some products, but I'm pretty good about feeling a rattle can's status. I've also marked or noted the weight of many of my common containers for both cooking and shop stuff, so I can just subtract that from a later measurement.

I wonder if rattle cans all weigh about the same, or not?

Comment

Working...