• leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Got a New Small but powerful Welder

YESWELDER ARC Welder 205Amp
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086SNKTTK...BTLXn4rVUmL8hg

I have a HF wire feed welder that I have had about 4 or 5 years; I had it for a year or so before I started using it - because I got so busy with other “house fixing” projects that did not need welding. Then I started using HF’s low end spool-wire feed welder. I was not used to wire feed. I started with powerful stick/arc welders back in the late ‘50s fixing farm implement breaks. My dad said I was a much better welder than he was or most other welders he knew at commercial shops. I did win my one and only welding contest in a MS regional FFA welding meeting. I was self taught before we had internet! It just came natural to me.

I didn’t do much welding from the late 60’s until the mid to late ‘90s when I bought a cheap small portable 100V welder in Japan and fixed things for neighbors, missionaries and for a missionary kid school over there. That was a very weak welder at its best, but I managed to get things done.

Then I bought the HF wire feed welder in about 2015 or 2016 after I came back home. Very similar to this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/flux-1...der-63582.html

I was NOT used to “wire feed” particularly the tiny tiny wire compared to "stick" rods. It Takes forever to build up a good strong weld with wire feed. After using the wire feed last week trying to weld some clips onto a bar magnet so that I could attach the bar magnet to the sides of my tool tote boxes, I managed to make one magnet work “ok,” but not great.

After using that for that project, I knew I needed something better, but I did not want to put out the cost of professional welders beginning at $500+, I did some research and decided on the YESWELDER, a brand I had never heard of, but I did find some information that the headquarters (maybe the USA headquarters) was in Boulder, Colorado. I looked at three different brands but this one kept coming back to mind and it had some very good reviews.

I ordered it through Amazon and I also contacted the company with a couple of questions. I got a quick response, which helped my opinion of the company.

I got the welder last week, but did not get to use it until yesterday. The welder is MUCH smaller than I expected it to be, about half the size of the HF wire feed welder. I wondered if it would be powerful enough and should I stick to 1/16 in rods, which I did not have. I only hand 3/32 6011, 6013 and 7014 rods which I had picked up in a couple of different places over the weekend because no one had the 1/16 inch rods. The reviewers kept saying that small welder had the power to do 3/32 and even 1/8 rods on a 60/40 duty cycle. BTW, the cables were not the size of commercial welder cables but bigger and more heavy duty than the ones I have seen on the small HF welders. I was impressed with the cables and the welder itself for fit and finish as compared to HF stuff.

I have a Craftsman LT1000 lawn tractor that has a weld crack on the front axle assembly which allows the right front wheel to wallow in place. If I take it easy, I can cut the 1/2 acre OK, but I really needed to get the axle housing fixed with all the trees I have to maneuver around.

I hooked the welder up to 220V and used 3/32 and set the settings to 150. Immediate burn though the 3/32 housing. I turned it down to 125; another burn through the 3/32 housing of the axle brace. Then down to 85, - it did fair but too low; back up to 95 and it was like laying spackle on a wall with a good spackle knife.

After using it, I was convinced that it would be able to handle 1/8 inch rods easily. I was impressed with this little welder and it is small enough to be easily portable. I don’t know what kind of power it has with 120V though. In most situations of portability, I doubt that I could have close access to 220.

NOW A QUESTION OR 2: I read one review on one welder that said something to the effect: “I gave up welding with rods; Wire feed is the only way to go!”

What is so good about "wire feed"? Does it lay down as much metal and as go as deep as rods do? Is it as fast? Are they as strong?

I understand the fact that wire feed is continuous and rods are: weld/stop add rod, weld, stop, add rod. I never had a problem with that, but my experience with wire feed on the HF is that it is slower and does not put down as wide a bead or as deep and doesn't cover gaps like rods do. - Unless maybe if there are industrial sizes that have bigger wire and fast feeds.
    What am I missing with the advantages of spool wire feed?

Opinions are welcome.
    Last edited by leehljp; 07-14-2020, 11:20 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I had that HF flux-core welder for a few days, maybe a week. It was my first try at wire feed, and I figured out nearly instantly that I was going to hate it. I mean, going from stick to wire was fantastic to me, but that welder was obviously crap, along with the flux core instead of gas. I quickly returned it and got a Lincoln MIG 140, which I've loved the entire time since then, around 13-15 years I think. I'm one of those who would never consider going back to a stick. Is it faster to lay down metal? Dunno. Is it faster in practice to get a lot of things done quickly and easily? Definitely. As strong? For sure, in the context of hobbyists putting light mild steel together.

What it comes down to is that it's so much easier for me to pick it up and put down great beads, with less annoyances and hassles, in more different orientations and positions.

I also have a Hypertherm 30 plasma cutter, absolutely love that thing. I don't use it much, but I use it for things that would be otherwise nearly impossible, or others that would take a very long time. I recently made some inside cuts on my Jeep's bumper for some strap hardware, and the video showing how the manufacturer did it included a lot of grinding time. For me it was ZIIIIPPPPP...45 seconds.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Wire welders started out as production welders, replacing stick. These were large machines with large wire and would lay down a bead like you wouldn’t believe. Small machines with small wire = small beads. It takes more passes to build up a larger bead, which isn’t necessarily what you want because you won’t have the proper heat with a small machine. What is the duty cycle on the new Yeswelder?
      The allure of a small wire welder is you can well thin metal that would be difficult with a stick. That is not as easy as it sounds.
      I watched a utube demo of the Yeswelder and was impressed. Many years ago I saw a simular sized welder, I think it was sold through Miller and cost as much as a small car! It would also run a TIG rig as it was DC and was a favorite with all of the welders at our factory.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I can fully understand the the advantage of continuous feed but as you said Carlos, that HF wire feed put a nasty taste in my mouth, so to speak. Another item that would be advantageous but I rarely used thin sheet metal. I have considered a spot welder for sheets before, and would like to have one, but if I had purchased one back when I needed it a few years ago, I probably wouldn't use it but once every 3 to 4 years.

After reading both of your response, I "might" give them another try, if I need another in the future. I'll remember your comments and look for a much better brand!

Yeswelder Duty cycle: 60/40 which works for me in my home shop situation.

Plasma Cutter - would love to have one. It would be worth every penny.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp

What is so good about "wire feed"? Does it lay down as much metal and as go as deep as rods do? Is it as fast? Are they as strong?
          I've never used a stick welder, only wire feed, so my view may be a bit biased, but the advantages of wire feed are:
          - no flux with MIG, so no cleanup and "dirty" welds.
          - works great for sheet metal
          - more control of the amount of metal applied and heat.
          - flux core works well outside and in the wind and is similar to stick welding with more control

BTW, your experience that it "takes forever" is likely a result of too slow a feed rate. It does take some practice to learn the right feed rate and heat, but a wire welder can add metal faster than a stick with a higher feed rate.

--------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Woodturner, I'm glad you added your comments. With your comments, Carlos' and capncarl's comments, I see a common thread of "sheet metal" welding. My background is in welding 1/4" minimum sheet steel, pipes, rods, tubing, bars and breaks in much thicker material. Grind away an angle, match the edges, weld. I guess I am saying I have always seen welding as structural building and joining rather than thinner sheet metal joining. I have a smoker grill I made back in the early '70s out of 1/4" thick tractor butane tank. (I made several for family and friends, and they are still in use.) My old smoker needs some adjustments made and that little HF flux core will not weld that heavy weight steel effectively - with my limited experience on flux core wire feed. This new stick welder will weld that easily. I need to modify the hinges and internal grill grates. BTW, that smoker/grill weighs in at about 400 lbs.

Thanks for the comments on the "feed rate". I need to expand my "world view" of welding to see the advantages of thinner sheet metal welding, and I will do something I comment on in pen turning: Practice, practice, practice the different steps in the "procedures" instead of hurrying to the finished product. I have thought several times this week about selling the cheap HF flux core, but with your comments, I will try playing with the feed rate and "current" rate on some sheet metal and see what happens.

I appreciate the comments.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I am so surprised at the 60 duty cycle, meaning it will operate 6 minutes out of 10 before you need to stop and let the machine cool off. I would have guessed it to be 30 or 40 at the best.
              10 yrs ago I turned my ox/acc and argon bottles In, sold my miller welding machine and gave my small mig machine and tig rig to and old friend and thought I could live without any welding equipment. I was wrong. A friend offered me a great deal on a older commercial mig welder that I had used numerous times, he wanted a new machine. It is really big and heavy, nothing portable like the Yeswelder, but boy will it weld. I have flux core and 75/25 mix gas, sometimes I use both when I’m too lazy to change wire spools.
              To fill in the need to cut, braze and gas weld I bought a Henrob torch set and a couple of small plumber size ox/acc bottles. For anyone with just one welding machine like I can highly recommend that gas welding set, I think it is now sold as a Cobra torch...... check it out on utube.
              Lee is the Yeswelder welding DC?

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

. . . is the Yeswelder welding DC?
                Yes, I think. Here is what it says: "ARC-205DS is ideal for 6010,7018,6011 DC Stick Arc welder." Something about that statement seems to indicate that it uses "DC" sticks but might possibly not be DC. I read something on that concerning another welder in which it was stated that similarly, but a user said that welder was not a true DC welder.

Not sure. This is beyond my "technical" jargon expertise.

After thinking over the responses, I am seeing what is to me a clear difference in expectations: You guys mention primarily sheet metal/fabrication welding in context of your thoughts behind wire feed welding. I grew up using stick welders for fairly heavy duty structural use, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 1 inch sheet steel, railroad rails, 4", 6" and 8" channel iron and larger beams and I beams. I still think in those terms but I certainly don't need that kind of welder today.
                Last edited by leehljp; 07-15-2020, 09:53 PM.
                Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Hank, add a TIG rig and a bottle of argon to that little welder and you could have the best welding set up you could ever dream for! Tig is definitely slower than mig, but a lot more forgiving. You wouldn’t need a mig wire welder then. I’ve used and owned TIG for 40 yrs. and only got rid on my Tig capabilities because I thought I didn’t need it any longer..... my best buddyhas it set up in his shop and I can still “visit “ it if I need to.

Comment

• durango dude
                    • Mar 2011
                    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Hmmmmm

My son is a professional welder - but he uses Panasonic Mig Robots.

He swears a Miller Tig machine is the best thing since sliced bread.

I haven't welded since high school shop class (we used rods and a tombstone those days)

I'm curious about this machine, though ---- since I'm interested in building steel and teak stuff.

The price point totally floors me, since I'm used to seeing the price of Miller machines.
                    (humorous PS ---- my last name is Miller ---- and my son's company is Miller Fab)

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Buena Park, CA
                      • CM 21829

Hank - I own that HF AC flux core machine, and can attest that it was difficult to use given the lack of variable controls on power (high/low only), and the spatter caused by being AC. A LOT of spatter. So I converted it to DCEN (which is what flux core likes), and it improved in the power and spatter departments, and I've used it quite a bit, including steel between 1/8 and 1/4. As you know, its too heavy to transport, so it sits on my welding cart, and I bought one of their newer Titanium Easy-Flux 125 machines when on sale for $149. 110V DC Inverter technology, very small and light. It's still flux core, so there is some spatter, but I have used it some and like it. Recently used it to do some gate repair at the church. One thing to note about flux-core is that you don't typically get a nice "flux peel" like you do with stick, but I keep an angle grinder with a wire wheel on it, and the welds clean up nice.

For a plasma cutter, I bought one of the 110V inverter types from Amazon by "Hyperikon" (whoever they are) a while back, I don't think they sell my particular model anymore, the comparably priced model now available is a dual voltage, here: https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Inv...s%2C262&sr=8-8.

These are fun and useful. I made a video about my model, where I compare its size to the little HF 80amp stick welder, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9TkjweHPz8&t=11s.
                      Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 07-24-2020, 04:02 PM.
                      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I was thinking about learning how to weld with stick welding, but a flux core seems easier for a newbie--from what I can tell on YouTube. I've been seeing a lot of good reviews of HF's Titanium series welder.

Does anyone have one?

Comment

• furthermore
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Dec 2020
                          • North Yarmouth, ME
                          • Ryobi BT3K

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                          I was thinking about learning how to weld with stick welding, but a flux core seems easier for a newbie--from what I can tell on YouTube. I've been seeing a lot of good reviews of HF's Titanium series welder.

Does anyone have one?
                          I don't have one of those welders (I have a Miller 140 MIG welder), but I think that if you're curious about welding, you should take a class! Many community colleges have welding classes you can take, and there are many makerspaces that now have welding classes. I took a class in TIG welding at the Artisan's Asylum in Somerville, MA and it was an absolute blast. Well worth whatever I paid for the class. We mostly welded steel tubing (the kind you would perhaps make a bicycle out of if you were so inclined) but we also welded some stainless and some aluminum.

Comment

• Carlos
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I got a Yeswelder five-process machine recently. I was using it last night. I really like it a lot. I will sell my Lincoln 140 and Hypertherm 30 for much more than it cost, and now I also have TIG which I'd like to do. And more power.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • Buena Park, CA
                              • CM 21829

Originally posted by atgcpaul

Does anyone have one?
                              Hi Paul - I still have mine. I keep .030 wire in it (and .035 wire in the older one I converted) - but I recently needed to fab up a bracket on which to mount a new 5/8 wave antenna for my 11 meter radio, and this is the welder I grabbed. Did a great job. Price has gone up some since I bought mine, but I bought it because it was smaller and lighter than most I'd seen at the time. I'd probably check Amazon for something comparable, and possibly cheaper, if I had to replace today.
                              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...