• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Deliberately cut through brads today.with my BT3000

Was refurbishing a 10-year old bench with some new legs. The horizontal braces were milled with a bunch of notches and in good shape and I didn't want to remake them but I had both lag screwed and glued them to the legs. While looking at that I noticed I had shot a brad into it (small hole confirmed with metal detector) apparently to hold it together while the glue set and I applied the lag screws. Belts suspenders and safety pins - what was I thinking?

So I cut the legs off above and below the brace. Before the brad I was going to rip off the piece left glued to the brace along the glue joint but with the 18 ga brad I hesitated. Finally I changed my Forrest WWII blade out and put in an old B&D carbide blade and just ripped through the brad - no problem. I think I've cut through brads before but this is the first time I did it on purpose. Here's two of the cut-off cross section.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200706_100808_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	839827

This is fence board cedar left outside in the rain and weather for 10 years. Interesting how the Rust spreads along the brad to the interior (gray stain). 1/4" lag screws also rusted all the way inside the hole.but the threads all intact you can see them. The glue held up pretty well. I was going to chisel the parts apart but was afraid the wood would break at places other than the joint and the brad reinforced that decision..
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-07-2020, 07:38 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Old blades ARE GOOD for somethings!

Just when I had made up my mind to start getting rid of unnecessary things in my shop. Gee thanks!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I'm going to give a few old blades to the wife for paint canvases but I will still have several 'utility/sacrificial' blades.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

If the blade had been a typical band saw blade it would have been a situation to avoid, but a 10” carbide tipped blade should handle brads with no problem. Red oak, hickory and pecan is probably harder on blades than brads. Still, you don’t want to risk damaging a nice blade when you have beater blades on hand. It looks good

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
          If the blade had been a typical band saw blade it would have been a situation to avoid, but a 10” carbide tipped blade should handle brads with no problem. Red oak, hickory and pecan is probably harder on blades than brads. Still, you don’t want to risk damaging a nice blade when you have beater blades on hand. It looks good
          I considered the band saw briefly but decided on a carbide tipped table saw blade. Like you said a beater blade is less to regret if some tooth gets chipped than using your fave blade. But I'd accidentally cut brad nails before and figured it was OK.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

The poor band saw blades don’t stand a chance against metal. They might survive against brads imbedded in hard wood, but I doubt it. I’ve lost several blades while cutting extremely small pieces of wood and holding them with a pair of channel-locks and the blade touched the pliers.... blade gone. It’s not unusual for me to have to cut small prices on the band saw, so I take a piece of thin plywood and cut into it to make a zero clearance cutting surface and use the pliers if it’s a really small piece. I need to make me a pair of wooden channel-locks!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I never accidentally hit metal with a BS blade. I didn't know they were that fragile. I will be careful in the future. I always figured there were 600-1000 teeth in that long blade and it wouldn't miss one or two.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I made a lot slicing jig that utilizes a miter slot in my band saw table. The butt of the log screws through the back of the jig plate and a pipe clamp holds everything in place. Several times I had the blade barely touch the pipe clamp or just nip a wood screw. Just touching the pipe clamp doesn’t appear to damage the blade..... but it no longer cuts well...at all.

BS blades don’t last all that long anyway, and it’s a shame for a stray piece of steel to ruin it!.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Sometimes you just kind know something in general from experience but it stays in the background of your mind, then suddenly someone says something along that line and it comes to the forefront and makes sense. Thanks Capncarl. This is one of those things that I was wondering if it was me not being attentive enough, or, are bandsaw blades really that "fragile" - sharpness wise.

At what point Is it worth it to try and sharpen a BS blade with a file and jig? $25-$35 blade? $50 blade? Carbide tipped?
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hank, BS blades are typically 100-150 inches long. Figure 6-10-12 tpi typically for a fine cutting or 3-6 tpi for a coarse ripping blade.
                    that could be 600 to 1800 teeth to sharpen. huh-uh.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Jim Frye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Maumee, OH, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Another reason I love my 10" Dremel bandsaw. I would have hung the metal cutting blade on it, set the speed to slow, and cut away.
                      Jim Frye
                      The Nut in the Cellar.
                      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...