Killed my brad nailer - don't do this stupid thing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Killed my brad nailer - don't do this stupid thing.

So stupid. I destroyed my Craftsman brad nailer.
    Of course I deserved it and figure it was a miracle it worked at all.
    loaded a 1.5" 16 ga. brad strip into my 18 ga. brad nailer and then another and then a third strip.
    I shot about 120 brads before it complained and died.
    20 years old, no parts available for it at all.

This is not the first time I did this but the first time it jammed immediately.and I was able to clear it.

Now it wont shoot at all.

The really stupid thing it I took the 16 ga. brads out and put them in my HF 18 ga nailer and they wouldn't even fit.
    I'm sad to say I thought the HF nailer was broken and it took me several minutes before I started checking why the brads would not even feed.
    I must be getting old and stupid.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-05-2020, 01:39 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I get my 16 and 18 brads mixed on occasion also. It usually is my putting 18s into the 16. On about the 4th of 5th shot, it double shoots.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I cut it off twice and it's still too short.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

It might not have been the 16ga nails that did you nailer in. 20 yrs is probably well beyond it’s expected lifetime. The plastic innards get brittle and break due to nothing you did. I’ve lost 3 nailers / staplers this year due to this phenomenon. My porter cable narrow head stapler will cost >$50 to repair, I’ll probably just spend $39 on a harbor freight stapler.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
          It might not have been the 16ga nails that did you nailer in. 20 yrs is probably well beyond it’s expected lifetime. The plastic innards get brittle and break due to nothing you did. I’ve lost 3 nailers / staplers this year due to this phenomenon. My porter cable narrow head stapler will cost >$50 to repair, I’ll probably just spend $39 on a harbor freight stapler.
          I've repaired that nailer at least once due to plastic pistons failing. THis time I opened up the piston and it seems some parts were missing or disintegrated. Anyway, no parts available anymore. It hit the trash can.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...