• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Iturra Designs Catalog

Like I'm sure most of us I have a number of catalogs laying around. On a recent project I broke both my 1/8" and 3/16" bandsaw blades. Since I don't remember when any of my blades were bought I figured it was time to start some research. I emailed Louis at Iturra Designs and recieved a catalog, Priority Mail 2 days later. This isn't a catalog, it's a 250 page manual for Band Saws 101. I didn't realize just how much I don't know about band saws and their blades.

I have a lot of reading to do before calling to order new blades. I've seen warnings in the past on here to have plenty of time to chat before calling Lou. I will probably buy most of my blades from him based on the onformation in the catalog and his recommendations when we chat..

The only one I'm not sure of is a resaw blade. The Woodslicer from Highland Hardware is highly recommended on the forum but the Bladerunner in the catalog looks good, too. Anyone have any experience with the Bladerunner or had a chance to use and compare both of them? The write up in th ecatalog says the Bladerunner was hightly reated in tests by Fine Woodworking, especially on feed rate and smootness of cut. That last is important because I plan to be using a lit of exotics in the future. Both blades are slightly thinner than most blades at .022" as opposed to being .025" thick. It may come down to country of origin for my decision. The Bladerunner is from a U.S. company but mfg in Mexico. Not sure about the Woodslicer.
    Last edited by Pappy; 05-01-2020, 12:27 PM.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

keep us posted on blades from iturra.

I’m prone to believe that most all blades are mfg from a few facilities and sold bulk spools to blade companies that cut them to length, splice them on site, box them and sell them as their own brand, The most critical problem with small band saw blades is the splice. There is not much metal to work with, and it will stress crack there or might not be perfectly straight, making the blades run with a warp, kink or slight twist, whatever you want to call it, it makes the cut look like it was done with a chain saw. It will break here!

In 2019 I purchase about 40 blades for my Rikon saw. For cutting Tiny Trees my blade of choice is 111” 3/8 x 6. This width/teeth count is hard to find for some reason, retail price for this blade is $20-$30. I can not tell any difference in in the lifespan of “quality high price blades, stock blades off the shelf at Rockler or cheap online $10-$15 blade. I’ve tried a lot of online blade suppliers looking for good cheap blades. I am not sure that is a combination, good and cheap doesn’t seem to go well together.
    I’ve found most of the online sites extremely hard to use to locate the proper blade (cheap), go to the next competition site and check blade price for comparison.... searching blade sites may take all night and not end up with a conclusion. Some sites don’t show up again several months later for another purchase? Over the past 4 years I don’t think I’ve used the same supplier more than twice! My last purchase was with Blade Serpent, so far I’m impressed with their blades, service and fast service but am only on their 2nd blade before I shut the shop down for corona house arrest to work on my mile long to do list!
    capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

"Iturra" - I have that book somewhere and it is a great book on bandsaws. Like you, when I got it, I got absorbed in reading it.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I have not tried both, but I absolutely LOVE the Woodslicer blades.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I was reading the write up in the Iturra catalog on the Bladerunner resaw blade he sells. It is the same blade as the WoodSlicer but he had to call it by s different name. Apparently Highland Hardware owns the rights to the name Woodslicer.

BTW, after shipping costs are added it is $10 cheaper from Iturra for a 105" blade.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by capncarl
            keep us posted on blades from iturra.

I’m prone to believe that most all blades are mfg from a few facilities and sold bulk spools to blade companies that cut them to length, splice them on site, box them and sell them as their own brand,
            capncarl
            You're probably right on most blades. Iturra pushes blades from US companies as much as he can. Starrett and Lenox are both US companies and they are his source for the bulk of the BS blades he sells.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...