• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Air hose Quick Connectors - Best?

I have my air compressor air tight and when I close the cutoff valve it doesn't leak a pound over two or three months if I don't use it. I have a Northern Tool reel air hose and it doesn't leak either. My portable tank does not lose air either - weeks or months. But the minute I put a blow nozzle in or a tire inflator in, the coupler leaks air. Not a lot but steady and if I leave the inflator in for 30 minutes or so, the tank will leak down enough to make the compressor come on.

Is there a quality quick connector set that is air tight when the accessories are inserted? It does not leak at the screw in fittings, but at the insert points around the ball connectors it leaks; if I turn the heads or put pressure on the air chuck or blow nozzle, air escaping increases or decreases, but air still escapes. It is not a lot but it isn't air tight.

What brand(s)?

Thanks
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've tried Milton, Husky and harbor freight. Its all hit or miss. I though one time I had a leaking QC and I blamed HF but it turned out to be a Husky
    I don't think perhaps if you want a tight system, that you should use QC... instead use threaded and teflon taped connectors.
    The reason is that I think there is no flexible seal in the QCs, its metal to metal. The fit alters a bit when you rotate it. Unless i'm wrong.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-18-2020, 09:44 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I only have a Bostich 6 gal. compressor and it doesn't get used very often, so I always empty it by blowing the drain when I'm done using it per the Owner's Manual. Everything that is connected to the compressor is quick disconnect and I have no idea whose they are. Some came from Ace Hardware store and some came from HF. Occasionally, one will not couple up properly and I have to re-seat it. I have a small cup of Oatey silicone grease from HD that I wipe on fittings like these to make them easier to use. It seems to lessen any leaking. The grease is very thinly bodied, almost watery from your body heat, so it doesn't build up on things.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• Slik Geek
        • Dec 2006
        • Lake County, Illinois
        • Ryobi BT-3000

I got fed up with leaky, poorly toleranced quick connects as well. I ended up buying replacing all of my connectors from an industrial supply place - figuring that they would have to sell quality to maintain their business. I've been quite happy with the result. The one I used was McMaster Carr 6534K26 (about 4 years ago).

Comment

• Slik Geek
          • Dec 2006
          • Lake County, Illinois
          • Ryobi BT-3000

Could it be the connector on your accessory? In my experience there is a lot of poor quality (sloppily machined) fittings out there. I've replaced both sides sometimes to address the leakage issue.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Several places have carried them (I looked up here, the old HF number, but no longer valid). I first found a style at a site called thetoolwarehouse.net (automotive stuff, back when I wrenched). The next ones I found were from the tool trucks, Harry Epstein's, HF (basically, who had them, when I needed them). Branded as both Milton and Prevost, but they are safety air couplers:
            Milton S-99705 Safety Coupler which fits the common settings
            Prevost PRVURC061201 coupler, which fits truflate fittings (we used on higher air required tools, so things couldn't be used in the wrong area)
            Haven't been on here in MONTHS, feels like years. Too much work and I envy you all that are off.

I posted this in the wrong thread, where I found the old HF number.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
              Several places have carried them (I looked up here, the old HF number, but no longer valid). I first found a style at a site called thetoolwarehouse.net (automotive stuff, back when I wrenched). The next ones I found were from the tool trucks, Harry Epstein's, HF (basically, who had them, when I needed them). Branded as both Milton and Prevost, but they are safety air couplers:
              Milton S-99705 Safety Coupler which fits the common settings
              Prevost PRVURC061201 coupler, which fits truflate fittings (we used on higher air required tools, so things couldn't be used in the wrong area)
              Haven't been on here in MONTHS, feels like years. Too much work and I envy you all that are off.

I posted this in the wrong thread, where I found the old HF number.
              I looked up the Prevost 061201 group and they looked nice but expensive. I have some good ideas on this thread and will check them out. I don't need but to QR couplings and about 6 inserts. I can get by with 1 coupling and 3 inserts for now.

It would be nice to have some that don't leak. My tank and fittings don't leak one single pound over weeks or months going into the Northern Tool reel hose. Leaks take place when I put in a air chuck inflator or blow gun - at the QR, and as noted above if turned in different directions, it will increase or decrease. I have it when I start to inflate a tire and air is escaping at a QR joint. I usually can tell the general air pressure as the tire is filling, but not if the air is hissing around the QR coupling.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I put a small ball valve on the end of my air hose so I can block air pressure while changing tools. I do this instead of the quick-release (QR) fittings much of the time. It's handy - I don't have to go back to the compressor and spin-spin-spin the regulator to zero to cut off pressure. Stick one of those valves on your hose, then add the QR fitting. When not using the compressor, closing the valve lets you trap the air rather than relying on the QR to do that job. Might be cheaper than a handful of quality QRs too. Even when I am using QR fittings, I use the valve to cut pressure as it makes plugging in the next tool a little easier.

mpc

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by mpc
                  I put a small ball valve on the end of my air hose so I can block air pressure while changing tools. I do this instead of the quick-release (QR) fittings much of the time. It's handy - I don't have to go back to the compressor and spin-spin-spin the regulator to zero to cut off pressure. Stick one of those valves on your hose, then add the QR fitting. When not using the compressor, closing the valve lets you trap the air rather than relying on the QR to do that job. Might be cheaper than a handful of quality QRs too. Even when I am using QR fittings, I use the valve to cut pressure as it makes plugging in the next tool a little easier.

mpc
                  Thats a good idea to put a small ball valve just in front of the QR. I know I can make fittings air tight, just not the QR with the plugs in it.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• Carlos
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I recently went through this, and found a great solution. These simply never leak, at all. I've replaced every coupler in the garage with these.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Carlos
                      I recently went through this, and found a great solution. These simply never leak, at all. I've replaced every coupler in the garage with these.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      Wow, those are just pretty good looking. Name brand. And reasonably priced for just over a buck a fitting. And if they don't leak, they are perfect. Tempting to refit the whole garage.
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-22-2020, 11:21 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

It's worth it. I bought two packs and still have some extra, I don't have many air tools any more. I'm putting two on the bumper of the Jeep to fill from the onboard air that I'm installing. The red accents go with how it has red accents already.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Carlos

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                          Carlos, I NOW remember you mentioning this with the 3M sprayer. But my mind is slow and it has taken you to awaken it. Thanks!
                          Hank Lee

Comment

• Carlos
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Hah, and I forgot I'd even mentioned it.

The other day I was offered the 55 and over discount without asking. I forgot where though.

Comment

• radhak
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Miramar, FL
                              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by leehljp
                              I have my air compressor air tight and when I close the cutoff valve it doesn't leak a pound over two or three months if I don't use it. I have a Northern Tool reel air hose and it doesn't leak either. My portable tank does not lose air either - weeks or months. But the minute I put a blow nozzle in or a tire inflator in, the coupler leaks air. Not a lot but steady and if I leave the inflator in for 30 minutes or so, the tank will leak down enough to make the compressor come on.

Is there a quality quick connector set that is air tight when the accessories are inserted? It does not leak at the screw in fittings, but at the insert points around the ball connectors it leaks; if I turn the heads or put pressure on the air chuck or blow nozzle, air escaping increases or decreases, but air still escapes. It is not a lot but it isn't air tight.

What brand(s)?

Thanks
                              I have always had this problem, and I always thought that was 'normal'!

Thanks Hank for bringing it up, and thanks Carlos for the link. Looks cool enough to buy!
                              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                              - Aristotle

Comment

Working...