X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ken roth
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2019

Dremel 1120 10" bandsaw

Hi all, I am a new member here and look forward to sharing and finding new information.

I recently purchased a NIB (NOS) Dremel 1120. I know they haven't been made in a number of years and believe I have read that there were also, at one time, other manuf. making basically the same saw. I am wondering.....
    1. If anyone here owns one,
    2. Any known issues I should be aware of
    3. Any tips for dialing in set-up
    4. knows a source for replacement parts when needed.

• leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Welcome Ken to SawDustZone. I am not familiar with the Dremel 10" band saw. I have a Delta 9 inch and it is the pits. Only good for cutting balsa wood, IMO. A select few 10 inch BS are good but most are not, and neither are 9 inch ones. I did a search for the Dremel 1120 BS and could not find anything except reference to long ago. Ebay did have some parts.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ken roth
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2019

thanks for the welcome!
      Yeah, most of the 9" are pretty underpowered for most tasks.
      The Dremel is a 1/2 hp with a 7" resaw capacity, which will be it's primary function for me. I am space limited and only build 1/12th scale furniture these days, so the benchtop is fine for my needs.

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I've had an 1120 since the late 90's. I really like it. It tracks well and has plenty of power. I've used for resawing as well regular work. I made a tall resaw fence that clamps to the table and I also made a taller miter gauge fence for the saw. I have a metal cutting blade for it and on slow speed, it cuts mild steel fine. My saw sits on a shop built roll round base as I have a small shop. My OSS stores inside the cabinet. I made my own blade guides from white oak soaked in Watco Danish Oil for several weeks. They last a really long time and can be buried in the blade if necessary. The only replacement parts I've needed was a belt. The original broke and I took it to a local belting and gear shop. They matched it to a Gates part. I bought three and still have two spares. I filled the plastic knobs with #7 1/2 shot and epoxy, so they will never break. Tires should be easy to find, but since I'm very careful not to leave the bands tension-ed when not in use, mine are still like new. When new, I had to balance the wheels some to get it vibration free. The wheels were coplaner out of the box. I also ran a small round bar around the wheels under the tires to make sure they were evenly stretched on the wheels with no high spots to cause issues. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1802.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.7 KB ID:	837363Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1803.JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	837364
        Last edited by Jim Frye; 10-07-2019, 06:32 PM.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• ken roth
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2019

Thanks for the info Jim. I found replacement tires from Carter, the top tire was good, but the lower was flapping around pretty bad.
          You mentioned that your saw was coplanar out of the box. That is one problem I am still having with this one..its not and I haven't been able to find a good way to adjust the lower wheel. Its out far enough that I'm having trouble getting the blade to track. With the blade centered on the upper wheel its almost over the front edge on the bottom wheel. I tried shimming the bottom wheel out with washers on the 3 studs, but that threw the belt off....
          Any advice would be much appreciated

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

The first thing that comes to mind, you don’t center the band on the wheel.
            The bottom drive wheel should not be adjustable. The top wheel has plenty of adjustment to track the band. If the wheels can’t be made coplanar, check to see if one wheel is not far enough, or too far on its axle. The drive wheel should have a key slot and the top wheel should be locked on its axle via the bearings.
            I’d suggest viewing Band saw clinic with Alex Snodgrass. He has it together and makes band saws look easy.

Comment

• mpc
              • Feb 2005
              • Cypress, CA, USA.
              • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I haven't seen this on a bandsaw myself but I have run across wheels & pulleys installed backwards. Can the upper wheel be flipped around?

mpc

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Remove the table and place a straight edge against both wheels. If they are out of kilter it will show up.
                I can’t think of any reasons the top wheel couldn’t be on backwards. They are usually attached at the factory and don’t come off easily.

Ive had several small band saws, both were 3 wheelers and were impossible to keep the band tracked.. it wasn’t worth the misery of trying to use.
                Last edited by capncarl; 10-08-2019, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Maumee, OH, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Don't know if this will help, but here are the parts list and the exploded assembly diagram for the 1120. There's nothing in the OM about setting up for coplaner alignment. Note the washer stacks on each side of the upper wheel. These are used to move the upper wheel in/out on the shaft. As for parts, if Dremel doesn't have anything anymore, perhaps Delta, Grizzly, or Rikon might as they made 10" 2 wheel saws that were duplicates of the 1120. Click image for larger version  Name:	Dremel 1120 Parts List Small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	130.0 KB ID:	837370Click image for larger version  Name:	Dremel 1120 Diagram Small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.6 KB ID:	837371
                  Last edited by Jim Frye; 10-09-2019, 08:34 PM.
                  Jim Frye
                  The Nut in the Cellar.
                  ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Ken.
                    put the lower wheel with the drive pulley/belt back to factory spec and try to adjust the top wheel coplanar and the band should track properly. Do small adjustments without the drive motor operating . That’s probably the most important hint.

Comment

• ken roth
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Sep 2019

Thank you all for your help.
                      Jim, I do have that exploded view of parts. It does look as though there is no good way to adjust the lower wheel.

MPC, thanks, hey it was worth a shot! Brought to mind that commercial for MLB with the framing gun that goes on the attack.....

Carl, thank you for your suggestions. I am not actually new to band saws and their set up, just this particular band saw. (Before retiring I was a professional woodworker, now I work in smaller scale)
                      I cannot adjust the upper wheel to coplanar as it already projects outward further than the lower wheel. I will have to live with it. Yes, you would normally center the gullet but that isn't an option with a 1/2" blade on this saw. (This saw will be dedicated to resawing). Most saws out there have little quirks that owners find ways to work around and tweak things as needed and that info is usually easy to find.
                      I just haven;t had that advantage with this saw as there don't seem to be many around. Again, thank you for your suggestions.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

(Before retiring I was a professional woodworker, now I work in smaller scale)
                        Ken,
                        Please post some pictures of your work if you can. And knowing your background, you probably have at least dozens of short cuts, jigs and thing-a-ma-bobs that would be VERY helpful to the rest of us. We would welcome those short cuts and insights!
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ken roth
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2019

Thanks Hank, I will look into how to post pics here sometime soon.
                          Been retired for a few years now so after new computers and phones, etc, the only pics I have handy right now are current work (miniature) that my wife and I make these days.
                          Still always trying to come up with new jigs and thing-a-ma-bobs though. Small stuff isn't really any easier to make I have found, just less physically strenuous

Comment

Working...