• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Dust control with Sander

You guys with the auto on/auto off for the DC, I KNOW you must enjoy that. I don't have that on my DC system yet, but I will see about doing that in the next few months.

THAT leads me to this:

Our old house has lath and plaster in the original part of the house. Our living room needed some work with one window replacement and the areas around the window. Several years ago I bought a large Fein vacuum and also a Festool RO 150 (6"). I haven't used it nearly enough to justify the cost I paid.Two years ago, Some of you may remember Festool offering a 4" intro sander for $100. I bought that. ON both, I just plugged, as needed into the Fein Vac and the auto-on/off worked like a charm.

LOML was totally surprised by the lack of dust throughout the house or in the living room - for the amount of sanding I did. There was some, but not much. I had purchased the Rockler vacuum hose adapter kit two years ago also. ( https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-u...-port-hose-kit ) Everything fit fine and worked great.

Sometimes all the different purchases just seem to come together to work well and get things done. Doesn't happen often, but it sure did this time. I felt like a "professional" getting that wall and window back in shape. Now, I have to paint!

Auto On / Off - there is power in that. Loved the feeling. Turn the 150 on, the vac comes on; turn it off, the vac goes off! POWER to me! Love automation!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

The Festool sander and vac make for a nearly dust free workplace. They seem to focus on professional contractors what work in upscale homes and businesses that require dust control.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
      The Festool sander and vac make for a nearly dust free workplace. They seem to focus on professional contractors what work in upscale homes and businesses that require dust control.
      I was and still am skeptical of the Festool Vac for one reason: 1.5 inch hose. I know the Festool Vacuum gets great reviews, but I was concerned when I ordered the Fein back in 2011 (over the Festool) about - if the 1.5 inch hose would do a good job? I knew that it might be good on sanders but I really needed 2" - 2.5" hoses for larger trash and chunks on the floor. So I got the Fein.

Am I correct in the assumption that the Festool is primarily for DUST only - in conjunction with / from the tools? If not, how can a 1.5" (37mm) hose pick up the trash of small pieces that are created in construction? The hose seems way too small for large pieces of paint flakes when stripping a room.
      Last edited by leehljp; 06-10-2019, 10:31 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I doubt that most hobby woodworkers would spend the money Festool wants for their vacs. I have Festools largest one, the CT 48 that retails for around $800 that I purchased in a local pawn shop along with a Domino 500 and a sustainer full of dominos. I figure I paid $300 for it, and I wouldn’t have paid that if it wasn’t in the package price. The small hose is definitely a drawback for normal cleaning purposes, and no, large pieces will get stuck in the hose. I believe you can make an adapter so the machine will accept a 2 1/2 hose. I’ve never seen this adapter offered by Festool though. The Festool vac doesn’t have anywhere near the vacuuming power an old $125 Craftsman shoo vac has, but it doesn’t need that much power to service their tools. You can actually hear yourself think when you are using it, something you can’t do with a shop vac. The Festool vac really is quiet, something that would be required of someone working anywhere other than a shop environment. Nicer tools really are more expensive.

Comment

• Jim Frye
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Maumee, OH, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I used to have a ShopVac that had a tool triggered outlet on it, but it was limited to something like 12 amps. If you plugged a tool into it that drew more, the vac would slow down so much that it didn't suck. It was good for sanders, but the BT3000, routers, and my Ryobi 10" CMS not so much. Since I use the ShopVac for all of the dust/chip collection in my shop, I made a tool triggered extension cord using a Craftsman tool triggered switch, an exterior duplex box, 12 ga. wire, and a magnetic plate. Normally, it's stuck on the frame of the BT3000, but easily moveable for other tools. ShopVac sells a universal adapter (p/n 906-87-00) that can be cut to fit an application. I've used these to adapt sanders to different hoses. It has diameters of 1" to 2 1/2".
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Tool Triggered Extension Cord.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	836863
          Last edited by Jim Frye; 06-11-2019, 06:47 PM. Reason: Added stuff
          Jim Frye
          The Nut in the Cellar.
          ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

Working...