• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

The only bits that I have that are exclusively for wood are spade bits, one set of brad point Rockler bits, augers and forsterner bits. Any other bits are dual duty, wood or metal. Sometimes my metal bits are nasty and greasy so I look around for a clean one, otherwise If it fits in the chuck I use it.
    capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
      The only bits that I have that are exclusively for wood are spade bits, one set of brad point Rockler bits, augers and forsterner bits. Any other bits are dual duty, wood or metal. Sometimes my metal bits are nasty and greasy so I look around for a clean one, otherwise If it fits in the chuck I use it.
      capncarl
      Mine have been too. However, my purchase was always a lower grade such as TiN coated for wood but did use them occasionally on metal. BUT, I now realize I need higher quality (harder) bits if I want to make some good clean holes in steel. From what I read, Tap Magic should help considerably. Still, I look forward to a good set of hard metal drilling bits.

Edit in: I still make pens and pen blank holes are more precision in size than 1/64 inch in many cases, so I do have some precision bits that I do not use on metal. (I have numerous mm bits in 1/2 mm steps in addition to the 115 set from HF.) Having said that, I have some stock aluminum 1 inch thick and 6 inches long for making into pens sometime in the future. The current bits would work but a good metal bit with tap magic will hopefully give a cleaner cut.
      Last edited by leehljp; 12-25-2018, 08:09 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

******note******** regular tap magic is not formulated for aluminum. They make an aluminum formula so be sure you purchase the correct stuff. I believe Tap Magic for aluminum is written across the front of the can in silver and white.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
          ******note******** regular tap magic is not formulated for aluminum. They make an aluminum formula so be sure you purchase the correct stuff. I believe Tap Magic for aluminum is written across the front of the can in silver and white.
          Thanks for that information on aluminum and Tap Magic.I did not know that and will most certainly have to check out T M for aluminum.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...