• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Oneida cyclones

Buy one. Buy two. They really are amazing. I recently bought the mini cyclone for a shop vac as well as the big steel one from my home-made DC system. Both of them trap an amazing amount of dust. I have no real way to measure the DC output, but nothing is visible from it (there are no filters). The mini was easy to measure. I cleaned out the inside of the shop vac, then used it with the cyclone to pick up just around the shop, then made a bunch of miter saw cuts. There is about 3/4 inch of stuff in the cyclone, but the shop vac still looks clean inside. Amazing. I used to also experience a slow-down as the vac filter got covered in stuff, and so far, it's running at 100%.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I really like the small clear Dust Deputy. It is satisfying to watch it do its thing. I actually shipped that over here with the 5 gallon bucket. I was able to pack many small tools into the cyclone body itself and it shipped over nicely. It is a great little accessory. Now I just need to find a local shopvac.

When I set it this time, I'm going to draw inlet and outlet arrows on it. I have swapped them a couple times when I reconnected the dust hose and that was a mistake!

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Hah, good thing to watch for! Since the shop vac's own container is now redundant, and so **** huge, I'm thinking about building a cart to house the cyclone with just the shop vac head and not its barrel. Minimize space. I'd stash the barrel in the back yard or something in case it needs to be used later I guess.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I really do think you need the vacs barrel because without it you couldn’t pull the vacuum. Most shop vacs pull thru the filter from within the barrel. You could hook the suction hose to the bottom of the vac where the filter goes. I believe you are mistaken that the dust deputy gets all the dust though, there is still some really fine stuff that does get through the clycone, you might not be able to see it but your lungs could find it.

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

There is definitely fine dust getting through. So far, none is visible in the barrel, even after a bunch more use. My plan is to drop the shop vac top onto the cart into a small sealed area, just above the cyclone. I already have a Teflon HEPA filter on it. There's just no need for the 14-gallon barrel any more.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

I have the little dust deputy on my shop vac and the super dust deputy on my DC system. Both work great. I havent looked in the shop vac barrel for ages but guess I should. I know that if the collection bin/bucket fills up then dust and chips will start to flow in there. I can attest to this as it happens pretty regularly with my main DC. I have a 20 gal drum on there which was the biggest I could fit in the space I have. My DC is in an attached storage area outside my shop so I dont look in there all the time and it can fill pretty quickly when I am doing a lot of jointing/planing.
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• Carlos
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Jon, if you want to build that bin full detector I mentioned in the other thread, the parts run about $40 and we can get it hooked up in an hour or two.

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Originally posted by Carlos
                Jon, if you want to build that bin full detector I mentioned in the other thread, the parts run about $40 and we can get it hooked up in an hour or two.
                Tell me more.
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Check out this thread: http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...ection-version

The Youtube video linked there has the parts list. It's a rip-off of the Oneida sensor, but with one part changed because they used something more costly without benefit. There's always a scotch and cigar available if you want to come by...

Comment

Working...