Vacuum or dust collector for you hand-power tools?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seahawk
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2012
    • Maryland
    • BT 3000 x 2!

Vacuum or dust collector for you hand-power tools?

Looking for some advice on a dust collection matter: I currently use my dust collector for the stationary machines, and the shop vac when using hand sanders, routers, etc. I'm wondering if I would be better off using the dust collector for the hand tools (powered) as well. The hose size of the shop vac drove me to my current methods; it was not a deliberate decision.

What is the efficiency of the dust collector when you choke it down too the 1" hose coming off the orbital Sander? Perhaps I need to put a Y in the 4", and have the 1" and a 2.5 or 3" nearby for air collection? Dust collectors are draw a big volume, but perhaps lest vacuum strength? Please share your expertise & advice...Thanks!
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

I think others can give you an answer based in science, but in my experience, vacs do a better job on the hand-held machines because of their internal "tightness". A DC does a great job on floor and bench machines, IMO, because they tend to have more open airflow, which is needed to keep the dust particles in suspension as they get pulled and transported to the DC. I believe you lose alot of CFM when you choke a 4in DC line down to 1in. However, I also employ an ambient air filtration unit even when using the hand-helds, just in case there are any fines escaping the vac.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Condoman44
      Established Member
      • Nov 2013
      • CT near Norwich
      • Ryobi BT3000

The only thing I have in my shop is a vacuum with a Dust Deputy mounted on top. I am on my third vacuum in 10 years but they cost so little it does not matter. I use this setup on my chop saw, table saw, 5" orbital sander, belt sander and drill press. I love the easy cleaning of the vacuum and how much is pulled into the DC bucket and nothing in the vacuum filter.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I've only used my Ridgid 12-gal shop vac. I have it's larger-diameter hose extended with a reducer and a smaller diameter longer hose that fits my ROS and finish sanders. It works pretty well for keeping the dust to a minimum.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

For HAND powered tools I use no dust collection. For most hand powered tools with blades (planes, chisels, drills) there is probably little dangerous dust created. Maybe some with hand sanding. I don’t find that messing with the vac or dust collector hose trying to collect the shavings is worth the trouble, I just sweep or vacuum it up later. Power tools are another subject, and I always try to run some kind of dust collection on those.
          capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I use 2 small shopvacs to collect dust from smaller tools where its also not possible to plumb to the DC without a lot of effort. The DC mostly then gets used for the table saw and for the thickness planer which doesn't get used too much lately.
            So the SHop vacs get the DP, the Jointer-planer, the Miter saw, the router, and the band saw. Some days the ROS and the plate joiner. Not perfect but a lot better than nothing.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

If my hand power tools have a dust port, I attach my Shopvac (with Dust Deputy) either with the shopvac hose or using the stretchy Rockler hose adapter. The shopvac does a pretty good job about catching the dust from my random orbit sander, tracksaw, or Domino. I think dust collection is necessary for the Domino to work well or the chips build up.

My understanding is that these smaller tools do better with the shopvac because of the high air flow vs a choked down hose from a DC.

Comment

Working...