• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Bottle of Glue gone bad?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bad Glue.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.0 KB ID:	827826

The large glue bottle of Titebond II on the right has turned a lovely shade of orange.... I guess its bad?!
    Still, the consistency is about the same. but its translucent now.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-15-2016, 03:45 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Yep, it's gone bad. Or...... Maybe you've mistaken it for a bottle that you saved grease from your last fish fry in?

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Out of curiosity, I glued two 1" x 2" blocks together yesterday. with the orange glue.

I used a hammer and a 3/4" wood chisel on the seam today and it seems about as hard to break as a normal wood-glued joint - but it did break mostly on the joint line and not rip out pieces of the joined sections so I guess its still quite strong but not quite as strong as a fresh glue joint.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Looks like you need to do some more woodworking

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

You know how you have a problem and when you are done with the project yo do something so it doesn't happen again?
          I think I worked on something that had a lot of glue-ups - face to face so it really sucked up a lot of glue. So After that I bough a quart thinking I'll not run short again.
          Well, I didn't use massive glueups and I guess I forgot about this bottle - I put it indoors so that it wouldn't see large temperature variations in the garage... I guess I forgot I had it. I guess I used some as its part way down, but I don't recall what it was.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dangre
            Norum Fewbie
            • Oct 2009
            • Gardnerville, NV
            • BT3100-1

From Titebond
            " Most of our yellow and white glues, including Titebond Original and Titebond II, remain usable beyond two years. Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turn into an orange-colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable."
            Dan

In a recent survey, 4 out of 5 hammers preferred thumbs.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

I think it is beyond the useful life. Glue is one of those things, so inexpensive, do you really want to chance a poor glue joint to save a few dollars?
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                I think it is beyond the useful life. Glue is one of those things, so inexpensive, do you really want to chance a poor glue joint to save a few dollars?
                No, I agree. Tossing it out.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dangre
                  From Titebond
                  " Most of our yellow and white glues, including Titebond Original and Titebond II, remain usable beyond two years. Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turn into an orange-colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable."
                  That pretty much describes it.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Remodeled our bathroom about 5 years ago and bought a gallon of TB II to help increase the thickness of the plywood underlayment in prep for tile. I had about 1/3 of the bottle left, and finally used the remainder of it up this past summer with my dressers project. I was surprised how long it lasted, but it was the same color and consistency as new glue.

I think it's the cap that makes the difference. The gallon had a screw-on lid like a milk jug with no applicator. I've had glue go bad in the little squeeze bottles in about a year.

Comment

Working...