X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CricketBug
    Handtools only
    • Aug 2016

Used Grizzly jointer and bandsaw

Newbie... I've spotted a used jointer (G0500) and bandsaw (G0513) for sale down the road from me so no shipping is involved. They look to be in excellent condition with relatively low usage. A package deal of $1500 was offered. Can someone advise me as to whether this would be a sound purchase? Thank you
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

A new grizzly 8 inch 72/75 bed (G0500) would be about $1000 plus shipping. The 17 inch bandsaw would be $875.00 new plus shipping. I would think that shipping would be $200-$300. So $2000 new.

If these are in very good condition, If I had the money on hand, and if I were going to use them, they would be worth it, IMO. I have a Grizzly 14 inch BS and have some short logs that need to be cut. I sure could use the extra space of the 17 inch. If you have the choice of starting with a larger BS, and you are going to continue in woodworking, it would be worth it to start with the larger one to begin with. Same with the 8 inch/75 inch bed jointer.

Lets see what others say.

Welcome to our forum. Enjoy it and let us know what you decide.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I'd grab the bandsaw anyway. A large bandsaw is hands down better that the ordinary run of the mill small bandsaws. That's a big jointer. I have a 6" delta and could use smaller, I can't remember ever needing larger than I have. If. Had to get rid of seldom used tools the jointer would be on the top of the list. I'd have to look at the shop space available to see if I wanted to give up that much space to a tool I wouldn't use much.
      capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have the 5013 and paid what Hank quoted above for it 10 years ago. Saw runs great and only thing I've had to do for it since then is change the tires. If you need a jointer of that size, I think it's an OK deal. I might try to work them down to $1200 or $1300, though.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

As usual I'll be the contrarian here lol. I've rarely, if ever, wished I had more capacity on my BS (I have a 14" with riser kit), but there have been numerous times I wished I had a larger jointer than my 6" (it would make face-planing wide boards much easier).

This looks to be an OK deal, but not a "OMG I need to grab this before someone else snatches it" deal. If you feel you'll use the tools, and have the cash, then why not?

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Thy're pretty big machines, more than what the usual newbie gets... usually a 14 in BS and a 6" jointer.
            But if if you can swing it spacewise and moneywise, theose are probably excellent machines.
            As for prices, A Grizz 8" Jointer goes for around $900 and that model Grizz 17" Eurostyle bandsaw for around $1000, its an OK deal but not a steal. Again depends on equipment condition, and it will save you shipping costs. How badly does he need to sell and whats the demand... unknowns.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...