• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Track Saws in FWW

Latest FWW arrived in the mail yesterday. Interesting review of track saws that seems to confirm Festool as king of the crop. They also rated a "Mafell" at the same level. Never heard of this one but they are another high end German make and believe it or not the price was more than the green beast.

Its hard to not look at the ticket price with a purchase like this but the low end Grizzly and Triton both performed under par and as we have all experienced buying something that doesnt really do the job to save a buck ends up costing more in the long run.

Interesting that the Makita gets best value and I have heard the same from other reviews. At approx $400 that seems like a pretty good buy compared to its German cousins and not that much more than the under performing bottom feeders.

Not quite made my must have list yet but its getting there. Dont think my kids are going to be quite that generous for fathers day but who know...
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I didn't feel it was an apples to apples comparison since Festool had their 2 different saws in the review with the bigger one winning out. The one that was picked as top choice uses a much larger blade and presumably a more powerful motor; it would seem like it would be a no brainer that it would win. I don't have the article in front of me, but I think FWW says something about the smaller Festool not having as much power as the other saws.

They also said the Dewalt (the one I have) felt underpowered, too, and that the plunging mechanism was awkward. Having never used any other track saw, I'm used to it, but I could see how it would be unfamiliar if you're used to how the other track saws plunge. I also thought the ding on the blade height adjuster was played out even though the smaller Festool also has the same issue. I've never felt it was underpowered for what I cut.

My one complaint about the Dewalt and they make the same comment on the Festool is that there is no positive stop at 45deg when cutting an angle. I have not had to cut a bevel but making that kind of cut with a track saw was one of the major draws for me. Not having a positive stop/detent at those important locations, seems like an opportunity lost.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

I have a Griz tracksaw have used it numerous times and once I replaced the blade have been completely satisfied ...
      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have the Festool TS75 and I've always thought that the plunge action on it was awkward, but eventually I got used to it. I have the issue with the double button function on the Kapex.

What I find more disturbing thought is that people are getting their FWW print copies and it still isn't available for online subscribers. Wood magazine is the only one that seems to come out at the same time as the print version
        Chr's

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

I've never felt like the TS55 was short on power. I'd compare it favorably to what the BT3/21829 could do. I could rip 2" hardwood without too much effort, but I did have to not fly through it.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I recently purchased the Makita plunge track saw. After intensive research I couldn't tell much difference in it and the festool. It uses the same track and clamps as the festool and the festool vac hose hooks right up. The only thing it didn't have is a splitter. The cost was a lot less than the festool.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I also have a DeWalt and have not used the others. It has a larger motor than the smaller Festool so it seems like a low blow to suggest it is underpowered. It has cut down several solid doors for me without difficulty and with the stock 48 tooth blade. I am confident that with a ripping blade (Freud makes a 14 tooth) it will cut full depth (2 inches) in hardwood. Most of the reviews are by users of the Festool which hinges at one end for the plunge. The DeWalt has a more parallel plunge which would seem odd if you are used to the pivot of the Festool. But that is hardly a drawback to somebody who will not be using both. I've also seen reviews which incorrectly stated the track lengths available for the DeWalt. Price comparisons are often made without the tracks. I got my DeWalt with 59 and 102 inch tracks for about $600. If you can get a Makita set up this way for about that price, it is also a good buy. But to compare prices with no track or only a 59 inch, isn't too useful. One of the reasons the Festool is so our of line in price is the track is terribly expensive. Probably a great tool but not one I am interested in. My DeWalt works very well. I have all three tracks offered for it now, 40+, 59, and 102. The latter is fine for 8 foot rips as long as you put most of the extra track on the side where you start - maybe one inch on the end you finish at. A few more inches wouldn't be bad, at least until you have to store it, however.

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Jim, you make some good points. I think that any plunge cut saw is awkward if you haven't used one before. It is significantly different than any non plung saw and regardless of which you buy your going to have to get used to it.

Festool tracks are very expensive. Mine came with the 55" track but the 106" was $300 additional. Just to rub salt in the wound, if you then later decide to get the LR32 cabinet system, you need to buy another 55" track with holes in it and or a 96" one with holes in it. Why they don't just put the holes in all the tracks is beyond me.
                Chr's

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I priced both the DeWalt and the Makita on Amazon. DeWalt with 59 and 102 tracks is a little over $620. Makita with 59 and 118 inch tracks would be about $640. Not a lot of difference and the extra inches of the Makita long track would be nice to have (except for storage). I'm still happy with the DeWalt but it looks like the Makita is a via option - or a Festool if you want to spend a lot for about the same thing (looks like it is about $1100 with a 55 and 106 inch track).

One thing DeWalt offers that I don't think Makita does is the router accessory for the tracks. I have one and have used it with my PC690 router. Works great. Not much to it but it allows you to make long dados easily. The DeWalt also has a riving knife and a anti-kickback (anti-back up) devise. It looks like the Makita has neither. I don't think kickback on a hand-held saw is a big deal but more safety features seems like a good thing.
                  Last edited by JimD; 06-11-2016, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I finished 1 set of laundry room cabinets using an older 5 1/2" all metal Skill circular saw equipped with a new plywood blade in a home made captive track and put up tear out and a bushel basket of sawdust. My second set of laundry room cabinets was cut with my new Makita plunge saw with factory blade. The cuts were flawless with no tear out on the finished side and little on the bottom, and not enough free range sawdust to fill up a snuff can! I'm sold, and would consider mounting this saw on a table like the festool mft table!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I think another unsung benefit of the Dewalt track is that you don't have to flip it around to make a cut in the opposite direction. I still store my long track in the original shipping box. I added a piano hinge to it and keep it suspended from my overhead storage rack. The shorter track sits on top of that box.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I think another unsung benefit of the Dewalt track is that you don't have to flip it around to make a cut in the opposite direction. I still store my long track in the original shipping box. I added a piano hinge to it and keep it suspended from my overhead storage rack. The shorter track sits on top of that box.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by twistsol
                          Jim, you make some good points. I think that any plunge cut saw is awkward if you haven't used one before. It is significantly different than any non plung saw and regardless of which you buy your going to have to get used to it.
                          I do not use my track saw (Grizzly) as much as I thought I would. I guess it is because I don't use plywood sheets on a regular basis or large table size glue ups on a regular basis. That said, I have used my Grizzly Track Saw twice since buying it a year ago. I have cut down about 5 sheets of ply. One thing I noticed, for me at least, is that there was not any awkwardness in the plunge of the Grizzly, as it just seemed natural to me. Nor was it hard to push down as some people have complained. Even when I bought mine, the store salesman told me that the plunge springs were considered too strong by many. I am not a large man, (except for my aging belly) so I should have noticed what others consider difficult. The Grizzly was smooth as silk and worked nice. As to the plunge cut being natural, I think that might be more of a mindset than anything else. While this was my first "plunge" saw, the plunge action for router use has become kind of second nature to me over the years and I think it carried over in my use of the track saw. Maybe I was just prepared for it before using it.

If the Grizzly felt so nice, smooth and easy (of course I had upgraded the blade) in its cut and use, I can't imagine how much better the larger Festool would improve on the cut or operation of use. For any that follow some of my posts, I am quick to say how much better a good tool is over "bang for the buck" tools, but I can't complain even a smidgen about the Grizzly - one exception was the set screws when linking two tracks. But I don't think that it is worth $600 for better set screws.

I am also aware that in addition to "lemons" from any specific model tool line, there is also that 1 in a 1000 that exceeds the others in that line. (Anyone remember the "Winchester '73" Rifle [Jimmy Stewart] ), Well, it could be that I got that 1 in 1000 in the Grizzly Track Saw.
                          Last edited by leehljp; 06-12-2016, 10:23 AM.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

I saw the current FWW when I was grocery shopping this morning and took a quick look. The author also incorrectly said the depth doesn't take into account the track thickness. My DeWalt depth is distance below the track - in inches. FWW has nice pictures but.....

Comment

Working...