• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Zero Clearance TAPE for table saw

I was looking at a FastCap youtube on self centering pocket hole screws, and after it ended, the next youtube FastCap (commercial) showed a tape that fits over the blade hole, effectively making a zero clearance tape.

Tyler discusses how to use FastCap Zero Clearance Tape for a table saw. Eliminate the chips and blowouts! Product Link: https://www.fastcap.com/product/zero-...

What do you think?

Here is the link to the "self centering" pocket hold screws referenced above:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by leehljp; 03-08-2016, 11:56 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Hank,
    An interesting idea. i wonder how thick it is, if you would have to lower your regular TP to accommodate, or if its negligible enough not to not worry about lifting your workpiece during the cut.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

zero clearance tape, that sounds like a good idea for one time use, it could be made fairly cheaply. Don't know how much they charge for it but its easier than fiddling with several throat plates if you have blades with different kerfs. And its always the right length if that's a concern. I would imagine its only 3-4 thousandths thick, probably nothing to worry about.

As for self centering pocket hole screws, that's a stretch. Anyone ever have any problem not finding the pilot hole with just a little feeling around?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Self centering pocket hole screws look like a solution in search of a problem.

I've used painter's tape as a quick zctp on my band saw quite a few times and it works ok. I wonder how temporary this tape is supposed to be and how much residue it leaves behind.
        Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JoeyGee
          Self centering pocket hole screws look like a solution in search of a problem.

exactly
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Here's a vid using it on a Kapex.

Here is a video of me installing the FastCap Zero Clearance tape on my Kapex. I just got tired of making the inserts. For $5 it's well worth a try. Than...
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

The tape sounds like a great idea for miter saw. not sure about TS. I also wonder how long it will last. not sure if you can find it cheaper but at $5 for 5 strips its well worth a try out and way easier than making a real ZCTP.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Now why didn't I think of that! I think I'd be catching the board on the leading edge of the tape, though, but in a pinch, I'll try it out.

Crazy that he has that huge sliding table and he still pushed it through against the fence.

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

I was actually pondering this very idea the other day... thinking about having zero-clearance plates for odd blade angles where you don't want to make an actual ZCTP.

That's my biggest gripe about the BT3K at this point... that they use such non-standard throat plates that are now unavailable at anything close to a reasonable price.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

My first thought on the zero clearance tape is it won't provide much support for the bottom of the board to prevent tear out.
                    Capncarl

Comment

• All Thumbs
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Penn Hills, PA
                      • BT3K/Saw-Stop

The tape could be okay for a few cuts provided it is installed forward of any riving knife. Not sure the time savings installing it would justify the amount of time it may take to remove it, though. You can get rolls of PVC tape cheaper than they'd probably sell a few pieces.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

MY 7 to 8 year old ZCTP has a gap of about 1/16 - 3/32 inch on both sides and it shows on some cuts by the chips. In my case, the tape would be great for re-newing my ZCTP.

Is it me, or do other's ZCTP gap clearance seem to grow with age? Mine has.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mpc
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Cypress, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I've used thick metal foil tape (ductwork tape?) as temporary ZCTP and it's worked fine. A mess to remove though; the tape tears easily. I wrap the tape over the front and rear edges of the BT3 table-top so there is no edge to catch on the workpiece. Mostly I do this when making bevel cuts so I don't have to make yet another ZCTP for whatever bevel angle I'm cutting this time. I have one generic bevel ZCTP... I say "generic" because I've used it for several angles so it's not zero clearance any more. I don't really expect the tape to do much for reducing tear-out; I use it mostly to get zero gap so small pieces being trimmed don't fall into the saw body or drop down and create a kick-back situation.

Hank: My shop-made ZCTPs for the BT3000 do grow little gaps with time. My primary one (for normal non-bevel cuts) probably has about a third of a blade kerf extra gap - on either side of the blade - now after many years. Not sure why. Slight lateral movement each time I re-install it perhaps? Different blade tooth widths - I do use this ZCTP for almost all of my blades. (Mostly Freud rip and crosscut blades with laminate & plywood blades every so often)

My ZCTPs don't fill in the entire throat area either. The stock BT3 throat plate has a thin part at the front of the saw and possibly the back... it's been so long since I looked at a stock one. Those thin parts are what, about 3/4 inches long? I just skip that part. My ZCTPs fill in the rectangular opening (where the stock throat plate is much thicker) and I've tapped the 4 holes in the throat opening to accept the same size screws as the normal throat plate holes. So my ZCTPs are simple rectangles... just gotta plane them to the right thickness. For folks without a good thickness planer, I'd suggest using plywood or whatever stock that's not quite as thick as the distance between the table top surface and those 4 holes. It's easy to make thin shims on the ends of the ZCTP to make up the difference... the whole ZCTP doesn't have to be the same thickness. A thicker plywood piece - thicker than the opening is deep - should work with simple rabbets cut into the ends. Slowly make the rabbets deeper and deeper until the plate is flush with the table top. Then cut a slot for the BT3's riving knife/blade guard support.

mpc

Comment

Working...