• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Getting started in Scroll Saw Recommendations:

I did some scroll saw work with a basic and cheap Sears saw when I was in Japan. Most of the scroll saw work was in my first 6 to 7 years there. It did vibrate quite a bit and I mounted it to a heavy slab of wood with thick rubber washers between the bolt and machine and under the machine too. I mostly cut out Kanji characters and some wood flowers. I haven't used one more than 20 - 30 minutes since the mid '90s.

Since I just purchased (or rather LOML purchased) a DeWalt scroll saw, I have been looking at books, patterns, bits and add-on items to get going. I found the Flying Dutchman's scroll saw blade site and ordered two different "bundles" with quite a few different kinds of blades.

What I want to do: Names/name plates, intarsia, puzzles, Christmas ornaments, and later toys.
    Viewing a couple of Loring's posts helped with name plates:

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

What are some good reading/viewing recommendations for:
    1. Sites/links
    2. forum
    3. Books
    4. Magazines
    5. Other.

I really would appreciate your input and suggestions.

In one of Loring's posts concerning getting the finish to the insides (cut-outs) of letters, there was one suggestion of using sandpaper strips that attached to the scroll saw in place of the blades. Anyone know of these?
    Last edited by leehljp; 02-14-2016, 07:17 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I have used the sanding strips that fit in the blade holder. They work good but teach you to slow down, maybe put in a finer tooth blade and not gap it up as much, Anything to reduce sanding. I've also clamped cloth sandpaper strips in my saw, that works also, but not as well as the commercial strips.

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

This site helped me a ton when I started out.
      Joe

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

As far as sanding, I have no good answer for you. I have not tried those sanding pads. Maybe I need to. My big problem is "fuzz" on the backside of the cut, similar to tiny blowout, if you will. If I'm doing a lot of stack cutting (which I do a lot of) I will put a sacrificial piece of 1/8" plywood on the bottom, which helps.

Also, when I am using a pattern, I usually wrap the wood in clear packing tape then use spray adhesive to apply that to the tape. no mess and I can make the adhesive as sticky as I want.

Also, I forgot, check out Steve Good's website and YouTube channel. http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/
        Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by leehljp

In one of Loring's posts concerning getting the finish to the insides (cut-outs) of letters, there was one suggestion of using sandpaper strips that attached to the scroll saw in place of the blades. Anyone know of these?
          Try a google search like this:

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Files_Close-up.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	787606
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-15-2016, 12:27 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JoeyGee
            As far as sanding, I have no good answer for you. I have not tried those sanding pads. Maybe I need to. My big problem is "fuzz" on the backside of the cut, similar to tiny blowout, if you will. If I'm doing a lot of stack cutting (which I do a lot of) I will put a sacrificial piece of 1/8" plywood on the bottom, which helps.

Also, when I am using a pattern, I usually wrap the wood in clear packing tape then use spray adhesive to apply that to the tape. no mess and I can make the adhesive as sticky as I want.

Also, I forgot, check out Steve Good's website and YouTube channel. http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/
            The backside fuzz can be reduced at the cut by using blades that have teeth that cut on the downstroke at the top of the blade and teeth that are inverted and cut on the upstroke on the bottom half inch of the blade at the table surface. See blade "A" below, it's called a reverse skip tooth blade

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScrollSawBlades.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	787605

1. Reverse Skip-tooth Blades. This blade is exactly like the regular skip- tooth blade, except the last few bottom teeth point upward. This is great for preventing tear- out or splintering on the bottom of the cut and for use with plywood. When using a reverse skip-tooth blade you must set the blade in the clamps so that only two or three teeth are pointing up above the tabletop when the saw arm is in its highest position. You may have to trim a little from the bottom of the blade to accomplish this.

It's crucial you install this in the correct orientation!

Also the backside fuzz can be taken off with an aggressive cut on a coarse belt sander. The fuzz will be of course on the very edge, taking a few mils (less than .005"?) off the backside of the finished piece with a 4" beltsander running 80 or 100 grit will clean it up pretty good in my experience.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-15-2016, 12:19 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I just did a quick check and I see that Lee-Valley has sanding belts for scroll saws, along with a few other products. ( http://www.leevalley.com/us/ )

Edit correction - Here's the link to the Lee-Valley page for sanding strips: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...65&cat=1,42500

and to the general scroll saw interest catagory: http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/Search.aspx?action=n

I have a Ryobi 18-inch (no longer in production) that I bought during a big Christmas sale in 2003, the first year my local HD opened. I don't think they knew what they were doing, as they had it marked for $99 and the sale was their one and only 20% off... I had just retired and got that, as well as the Ryobi bandsaw, belt/disk sander, router table combo; all for something like $79 each. After the holidays, that particular scroll saw model was $ 180.

I like the Ryobi and I think that model was also dressed in Craftsman's black and red. The only vibration that the Ryobi really suffered was at about 3/4 top speed; above or below that, it's pretty calm. It is equipped with a segmented blower tube with integral light.

About the first thing I did was call the Flying Dutchman. Not sure if he is still alive, but he was a terribly nice fellow and I must have talked with him for at least 15 minutes. At the time, he had an offer for a variety pack of blades with his magazine-like book... I still have them.

CWS
              Last edited by cwsmith; 02-15-2016, 11:40 AM. Reason: See italics
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Thanks fellows for the information. Loring, thanks for the links to the sanding belts and files, I will order some pronto. CWS, I ordered 2 different "variety" packs of blades from the Dutchman. Joey, I appreciate the links.

This has been very informative! I will be traveling this afternoon back home (about 325 miles). If I have time tonight, I will order some belts and files. I need to check ebay, amazon and individual sites for the best offers plus shipping. I would like to order all from one place if possible.

There is one blade that I read about Saturday somewhere (and cannot find it now) that had teeth on the front and back side, not spiral either. This helped when going forwards and backwards (I am guessing) in some cutouts. I must look for that blade again.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Woodcraft sells sanding strips (but I have not tried them)
                  Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.
                  Richard

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Lee,

I fixed the links in my original post. Sorry, but it was late and I was using a tablet so couldn't copy the links correctly.

Also, the website that went to was https://www.mikesworkshop.com/ which sold "Flying Dutchman" blades... so a bit of confusion on my part last night. Mike's was highly recommended back in 2003 and I see his website is still active. While it still appears as it did on my last visit a few years ago, I don't see the title "My Story" which was Mike's own history, about growing up in Europe and beginning scroll sawing at a very young age. It make think that perhaps Mike as passed. I hope not, but as I recall he was elderly when I talked to him back in 2004.

In any case, there's some interesting information there, including several links. BTW, the book I bought at the time was Scroll Saw Workbook by John A Nelson (2nd Edition, ISBN 156523-207-0. It's 88 pages contains history, mechanism, reviews, accessories, and 25 progressively harder lessons/patterns.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• scrollsawhero
                      Handtools only
                      • Nov 2018

Great recommendations here! I never thought to try out sanding strips like that, but I'll definitely have to purchase some and try it out. Here's the guide I wrote to help others get started, it's a little more up to date than other posts I've seen on here: https://www.scrollsawhero.com/the-ul...o-scroll-saws/

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

I purchased some sanding strips (can't remember the brand but they were supposedly decent quality ones) a couple years ago, possibly due to this thread. I ended up sending them back... first of all they're pricey to begin with. Secondly since you're always sanding with the exact same part of the strip, they wear out nearly instantly. Mine became dull within a minute, and broke in half after 2-3 minutes. Considering they cost a buck or two a strip, not sustainable IMHO.

Comment

Working...