• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Wiring Ground on Router Table Switch

I bought a new switch for my router table. This is probably a dumb question, but want to clarify. There is no ground on the switch and the diagram calls to run the ground from the power source to the "machine" which will be an outlet in my case.

I assume I can connect the power side ground to the ground wire going from the switch to the outlet, then just ground that to the outlet?Click image for larger version

Name:	20160213_152206.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	801046
    Joe
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
    I assume I can connect the power side ground to the ground wire going from the switch to the outlet, then just ground that to the outlet?
    Yes, you basically just connect all the grounds together.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

When I am connecting an additional wire to the device ground I will make a 3-4" ground jumper wire and hook it to the ground terminal on the switch and connect the ground wire from the Romex and the device to this jumper. I use this method because there is seldom enough room on the ground lug for 2 wires and it is easier to push this extra wad of wires back into the back of the box rather than to fight an additional wire on the switch.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JoeyGee
        I bought a new switch for my router table. This is probably a dumb question, but want to clarify. There is no ground on the switch and the diagram calls to run the ground from the power source to the "machine" which will be an outlet in my case.

I assume I can connect the power side ground to the ground wire going from the switch to the outlet, then just ground that to the outlet?
        Your question makes no sense to me. YOu stated that the switch has no ground connection. Then you ask if you can connect "to the ground wire going from the switch to the outlet".

from what you show there is no grounding on the switch, it does not have a metal enclosure.
        You can run a ground wire in the cable with the other interrupted wires at the switch, just running the ground past the switch without making a connection.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• reddog552
          Established Member
          • Dec 2006
          • Belleville Il.
          • Bt3000

Grounding to Switch

Originally posted by capncarl
          When I am connecting an additional wire to the device ground I will make a 3-4" ground jumper wire and hook it to the ground terminal on the switch and connect the ground wire from the Romex and the device to this jumper. I use this method because there is seldom enough room on the ground lug for 2 wires and it is easier to push this extra wad of wires back into the back of the box rather than to fight an additional wire on the switch.
          I in this case All plastic encloser Plastic switches,No ground terminal on switches.You would just join the line& load Side grounds together.Capncarl it is never allowed to have 2 wires under1 screw.
          The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

Working...