• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Festool madness

I was visiting one of my local pawnshops today, after spending a fair amount of time hovering over the handgun counter in deep discussion with the owner I spotted a stack of Festool containers. After years of dealing with these guys I've learned to never ever show interest in something you may be interested in so on my way out I took a quick peek at the festoon stuff and asked what the story on the green tool boxes. He said that they had already sold some of the tools and this was what was left and he would take $xxxx.00 for it. I wished him luck and headed home. I didn't get the model of the tools so there is wide price swing, I'll find that out later. The top box was a planer, I think a HL 850,$650., # 2 box was a Domino with a price swing from $880. to $1,300. # 3 box was Domino tenons, $300. The base was a Dust extractor, with a price swing from $650. to $850. None of these tools appeared to have been used. Using the lowest price for each item this stack of tools is worth at least $2500., about 1k above their asking price. I may persue the domino and tennon but have no interest in the plane or dust extractor. Thoughts?
    capncarl
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

One thing about the Domino. It must be used with a dust extractor or it will plug and overheat. The box of tenons should come with all four of the different sized bits. The dominos themselves aren't that expensive. The primary cost of that set is in the Systainer and the bits.
    Chr's

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Unless you have a need for a portable jointer or want to put rustic faces on wood I would skip the planer. If you need to use just as a planer I would go with any of the much less expensive options.

The domino is a game changer and I would absolutely get it if the price is right. I wouldn't pay more than 80% retail. Above that and I would rather get the warranty. I got my domino XL used which came with some accessories including the domino sustainer and 2 additional bits for $950.

The ct is great but in the same class as the domino. Most any vac will work with the domino assuming you can get the right fitting for it. The ct and other variable speed vans really shine when paired with a sander with good dc. Other main advantage for me is the low noise level. I would definitely get it if the price is right however. Maybe bundle both.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

A question for you domino owners. I use 5/8" X 3" aprons on my tiny tables and cut a 1/4" slot in each end for a tenon. Can the domino handle this small of a piece of wood cutting in the end? Have I got to build another jig or table to accomidte it? (I haven't googled or utubed it)

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

There is a attachment called a trim stop which allows the domino to cradle th work piece when mortising through end grain of small pieces. Depending on the version the guy has it may or may not come with it. It does take a little practice to get the balance right so you don't end up titling the machine as your plunging. So I suggest make several test cuts before you do the real thing. Also take a few dominos and and the edges off and use them as test pieces when your dry fit. It can sometimes be hard to get the domino out (even without glue) without damaging it.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I went back to the pawn shop today with a pocket full of $$$ and full intentions of purchasing the festool domino and tenons. A different guy was there today and the price went from $600 yesterday to $900 today. They have been watching too much pawn stars. The domino was a DF 500 not an EX. I offered $500 cash and he didn't counter offer. I said I didn't need it anyway and left. I also left without buying the pistol I was going to buy as well. 2 sales lost. These shops keep someone busy in the back room posting stuff on eBay and other internet sites so they are not as price negotiable as they use to be.

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

That's too bad. I've only bought one thing from a pawnshop before. And ironically enough it with Festool Item. A TS75 tracksaw. And that was only because they advertise on craigslist. I guess they didn't do their research too much because I got it for a really good price.

It might be worth it to go back in a week or two and see if you can get it for a lower price if it's still sitting there.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

This past weekend while in Highland Woodworking in Atl. I convinced myself that I needed a sander that doesn't give my hands paralysis and drooled over the Festool ETS 125 EQ-Plus 5" ROS sander. I liked the way it felt so it came home with me. I wish you didn't have to buy the plastic box, and their proprietary sand paper. My hands will thank me for it.
                On a whim today I went back to the pawnshop that had the Festool equipment that I started this post for last year. I was suprised that it was still there. Their asking price for the CT 48 E vac, domino 500 q-plus and box of dominos DS 4/5/6/8/10 1060 BU and HL 850 planer was firm at $1350. I did not want the planer so after some haggling we settled on the vac, domino 500 and box of dominos for $950. That's 1k under retail. The 500 had not been used, it's attachments are still in plastic bags and the dominos and all the bits are still in bags and the vac had about a gallon of dust in it like they had cleaned out a bandsaw. I would like to know the story on this equipment, the pawn shop a guy said he did not know but they get in some weird stuff at some of their other stores near I75 from truck drivers needing cash to get the truck home.
                So does this mean I've been bit by the green bug and have taken a sip of the koolaid?

Comment

• twistsol
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                  • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by capncarl
                  So does this mean I've been bit by the green bug and have taken a sip of the koolaid?
                  So, let me see if I have this straight. You needed a sander and spent $1400+ assuming tax and sandpaper. You're doomed.

One of us ... One of us ... One of us.
                  Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Yea, no, I spent $950 for the 3 pawnshop items, no tax. The sander was $200 retail.... But I neeeeeeded it!
                    capncarl

Comment

• jussi
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007

Smoking deal Carl. I'm sure you'll love the domino. Check out Rick Christopherson's guide. His guides are much better than Festools.

Btw YOU SUCK!!!!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Definitely. You suck.

I have really enjoyed using the Domino. It was totally a luxury purchase for me but it has made woodworking easier. Just put together a picture frame today and I don't have to worry about slipping miters or uneven pieces.

Comment

Working...