• Show
Clear All
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

HF Dust Collector

I recently purchased a new HF 2HP dust collector. As you know, the system uses 4" hoses. My question is, what is the proper way to connect it to my BT3K? I have the older 2" shark guard and the BT has 2" point in the rear. Is it advisable to use a wye and then drop down to 2" hoses for the saw? Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Conwaygolfer
  • joedad
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • Yardley, PA
    • Ryobi Bt3000

I just reduce from 4" to 2" at my dust collector. Works great.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I went the opposite way and glued a reducer to the 2" collection port on the saw to accept a 4" hose. I don't run a guard so the second hose is not an issue for me.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• conwaygolfer
        Established Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Conway, SC.
        • BT3000

Pappy - several years ago I used no guard. And then my left thumb was ate up by the blade. That is when I went with the shark guard. Hopefully I learned my lesson.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

I split the 4 inch line at the saw - one part to the port on my Sharkguard, the other to the port on the back of the saw. Works great.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

All the picture posts seem to have disappeared. So I'll repost them. Some pictures of a neutral vane for the HF DC. Helps direct the air flow into the ring and avoid mixing with the vertical air exiting the lower section. Picture showing swirl helped by NV. Recommended by Bill Pentz. Simple Belly pan for the BT3 for a DC

The above link is all the pictures, below are copies of the ones where split at the HF 2HP DC to two 10-ft 4" hoses, one to a 2.25" reducer at the back and the other to a belly pan I loosely mounted under the saw.
            Really works great. I've thought about splitting the 4" hose to the rear to get a 2.25" hose to an overhead on my shark guard but I haven't done this yet.

The cleanliness shown is after running this saw with the DC. The little pile of dist in the lower right web of the locker bracket was from before I installed the DC system.
            It keeps the internals of he saw real clean and I don't ever have to unjam the elevation screw.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-18-2015, 12:08 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• conwaygolfer
              Established Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Conway, SC.
              • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              http://www.sawdustzone.org/showthrea...Dust+collector

The above link is all the pictures, below are copies of the ones where split at the HF 2HP DC to two 10-ft 4" hoses, one to a 2.25" reducer at the back and the other to a belly pan I loosely mounted under the saw.
              Really works great. I've thought about splitting the 4" hose to the rear to get a 2.25" hose to an overhead on my shark guard but I haven't done this yet.

The cleanliness shown is after running this saw with the DC. The little pile of dist in the lower right web of the locker bracket was from before I installed the DC system.
              It keeps the internals of he saw real clean and I don't ever have to unjam the elevation screw.

I like what you have done. Especially with the belly pan. Years ago I placed the saw in a cabinet I built. There is a dividing wall directly underneath the center of the saw which would create a problem for me. But I may have to rethink and remove the wall. Thanks for the pics.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

The connection on the back of the BT is 2.5". My system uses the HF splitter off of the dust collector that runs 2 4" lines, I run a single 4" line at ground level through a blast gate, and into a Y that reduces to 2.5, I then shoot 2.5" to the blade shroud, and belly pan. A second 4" line comes overhead and drops down, before reducing to 2.5" for my Shark Guard (THANKS LEE!)
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...