X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Got a new generator / inverter

I was looking for a on field solution to charging my RC lipo batteries. I initially thought of using Deep cycle batteries and was set to buy a pair when I came upon a Ryboi Inverter on craigslist. I've seen the honda ones before and was really impressed by how quiet they ran. But the $800+ price tag was way more than I wanted to pay. The guy was asking $300 for the Ryobi which much better obviously but still kind of high for me. Also, I was a little hesitant because, while I know Ryobi isn't exactly Harbor Freight, it also isn't a high end brand and was afraid on how long it would last. I looked at the home depot website and saw the 269 reviews which averaged 4 stars and decided to give the guy a call. I offered $250 since he was over an hour from me and he countered with $300 and he would deliver. Considering gas costs and travel time, I thought it was worth it. Met up with him at a local borg and bought it. It looked near new.

I was a little nervous when I got it home and couldn't get the thing to start. I thought I had just made a $300 mistake. Come to find out the choke lever was just a little finicky and had to be set in just the right spot. After that it started right up and ran pretty quiet. Restart only required a single pull. It's a bit louder compared to the hondas from what I remember but it was a some time since I had seen them so I could be wrong. It's certainly not "quieter than a conversation" that Ryobi claims, unless you are constantly yelling (but not loudly) in your conversations. Its running power is 1800 watts which is more than what I need. It's very light weight and has good strong handles and a pull out handle to use with he built in casters. Overall I think the unit is well built and am very happy with the purchase.

On a side note, for you guys with generators, what steps do you do when storing it. Is it absolutely necessary to drain it. I've read that if you add fuel stabilizer you can just let the generator run till it dies and leave the remaining treated fuel inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ed4414c4-259a-4034-b731-f414ffe5fdc0_400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	800951
    Last edited by jussi; 09-16-2015, 12:00 PM.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I use stabil in mine. It has a 5 gallon tank and that is how I have stored it since I bought it right after Ivan. I let it run and turn off the fuel valve. Now each year I run it at least half the tank. Then add fresh fuel and add the proper amount of stabil for the fresh fuel. Every year it starts on first pull.
    Mine is an older model of this one.
    Lee

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I don't drain any of my power equipment anymore... just use sta-bil. Never have any issues. For our lawn tractor I use regular gas up until the fall then start using sta-bil just because it takes a lot more gas... but for everything else I just mix sta-bil in for every fill-up (I actually have a separate can that I mix sta-bil in) so I never have to worry about winterizing (or summarizing, in the case of the snow thrower) it.

We just picked up an inverter generator this summer as well... a PowerHorse, which I believe is Northern Tool's house brand. So far it seems to work well... will really only use it for emergencies, but I've used it for a few yard projects rather than drag out a big cord.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

My Dad has a generator that powers his mountain cabin. In the late fall, he adds some Stabil but lets the generator run until it stops then he drains the oil. I opened the cabin this Memorial Day--maybe closed up for 5+ months--and he told me all I had to do was connect the battery, add gas, add oil, and turn the key. If the battery was drained (it was), pull the starter cord. One or two pulls and it was good to go. He's been doing this for 10 years with the same generator. I think it's a Mitsubishi.

My car has an AC port in the back. Not sure how long it takes to charge your batteries, but if I wanted to do the same, could I do that, too, and periodically start the car to keep the car battery charged?

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be using it almost every weekend for the foreseeable future so I think I'll think just mix stabil for now. Plus we don't have an off season in socal so I don't think I will have to put it in storage. On another forum, someone suggested using Marine Sta-Bil . Anyone know if there is a benefit over the regular kind?

I downloaded a db measuring app and it measures around 76 db about 5 feet away and around 70 15 feet away. I wish it was a little quieter but am pretty happy with it.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Stabil does help prevent the gas from "spoiling" in the tank, I use it myself... But.... I don't think that it negates or counters the effect of the alcohol in the gasoline on plastic and rubber components in the fuel system. Manufacturers are now reputed to be installing plastic and rubber components that are not adversely affected by our 10% alcohol fuel. I have not found this claim by mfg to be completely true. My Gravely zero turn mower is on its 3rd set of fuel tank pick up lines. They dissolve and fall into the tank. I've noticed the hardening and breaking of small fuel hoses on weed eaters, chain saws, tillers,etc. I don't think that any amount of stabil could save these hoses from the effects of alcohol, only the mfg installing the proper materials will save this equipment.
            capncarl

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
              Stabil does help prevent the gas from "spoiling" in the tank, I use it myself... But.... I don't think that it negates or counters the effect of the alcohol in the gasoline on plastic and rubber components in the fuel system. Manufacturers are now reputed to be installing plastic and rubber components that are not adversely affected by our 10% alcohol fuel. I have not found this claim by mfg to be completely true. My Gravely zero turn mower is on its 3rd set of fuel tank pick up lines. They dissolve and fall into the tank. I've noticed the hardening and breaking of small fuel hoses on weed eaters, chain saws, tillers,etc. I don't think that any amount of stabil could save these hoses from the effects of alcohol, only the mfg installing the proper materials will save this equipment.
              capncarl
              I've had issues such as these with older (1990s and prior) equipment but not modern equipment. Hopefully that means the problem is being solved. You can't even buy non-ethanol gasoline in Minnesota.

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

We have one station around here that still carries pure gasoline with no ethanol. Not sure how much longer they will be able to do that. I think it is a locally owned Citgo.
                Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Our area has 5-6 convenience stores/gas stations that sell non ethanol gas. They all appear to be privately owned and struggling. The fuel is usually about It will $.50 higher than 10%. I don't understand this cost difference unless it is another hidden tax by the epa.
                  capncarl

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

How do you tell what the ethanol percentage is in a given gas station?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Usually says so on the pump.
                      When it says less than 10% it probably means right at 9.9%

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Kristofor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Twin Cities, MN
                        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by tfischer
                        I've had issues such as these with older (1990s and prior) equipment but not modern equipment. Hopefully that means the problem is being solved. You can't even buy non-ethanol gasoline in Minnesota.
                        I always buy non-oxygenated gasoline for my small engine equipment since I don't turn the tanks over very often (especially the small 2-stroke can). There are several dozen stations in the state which sell it for use in small-engine, off-road, and collector vehicles. It seems to be prevalent in a lot of the smaller/independent stations (that often also have a wide mix of E## blends between E85 and normal E10 gas). There are several (often inconsistent) lists of stations you can find associated with classic car/hotrod websites.

Comment

Working...