Disappointments in Harbor Freight land...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Disappointments in Harbor Freight land...

Now by now you guys should know that I am not one of the Harbor Freight haters crowd, I have sourced up the majority of my shop from there, and for the most part I have gotten FAR better serviceability from my HF tools than they have any right to offer at that price point,

But with my heavy work in broken car and truckville lately, I am running into a few absolute duds coming from Harbor Freight and I thought it would be wise to share them with you...

The following are outright failures due to exceedingly low quality in either design, or construction and the poor quality is not in any way similar to other competing products.

Item #69258 (Same as #61666) Radiator Pressure Tester Kit. I had to return 3 of them to get one that actually worked at all. And even then, pumping too fast blows pressure past the pump seal. NOT reliable for long term service. The housing of the pump feels like it will literally fly apart in your hand as you use it.

Not shown online. Will have to get item # from home tonight. 5 piece Metric flex head ratcheting combination wrench set. The ratcheting end works GREAT, however the handles are pretty stubby, and the open ends are scary flexible. With a tight fastener, the force required to loosen the fastener spreads the jaws of the wrench apart.

The following I will call a mixed bag. Construction is okay, but there were failures in either durability, or function that are in line with competitors.

Item #69619 Inner Tie Rod Removal Set. In all fairness, this is the same as the house branded ones that Advance Auto, and Autozone carry. The tool itself is simply insufficiently sized to work with modern pickup truck, and full size SUV inner tie rod assemblies on models such as the Ford F150, Expedition, Lincoln Navigator etc... Works like a charm on compact cars though..

Item #60706. 4 Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump. IF you own and use floor jacks, and jack stands I hope and pray you inspect your jack before using it to lift a vehicle. Upon inspection, I found on mine that one of the E clips holding the pressure bars had gone missing, Probably got snagged on something and popped off. Luckily my Harbor Freight sells a 200ct box of misc sized E clips for about what 2 or 3 E clips sell for at my local hardware store. So I stocked up and fixed my jack before lifting my truck... Another issue is the locking bolt for the handle. It uses a standard bolt as a retainer for the handle, that can be easily backed off to allow for handle removal. My bolt keeps backing off. A touch of loctite cured that. For what it's worth, I have had floor jacks that came off of the mega expensive tool trucks to the same, and worse.

So what fails have you had from Harbor Freight tools? Please list the failures, and item numbers with as much specificity as possible. And did you have a work around for it?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Of all the stuff I've bought at Harbor Freight, I've only had one failed product item #68245 a Digital Air Flow Regulator. The first three I tried leaked and the fourth wouldn't give a reading at all. I just threw the last one away because I was spending more in gas exchanging them than it was worth.

That represents less than 0.4% of my lifetime Harbor Freight purchases. Considering my John Deere (Scotts) Lawn tractor from Home Depot was a total POS, HF has a much better track record for quality than Home Depot on a ratio of Failed Dollars / Spent Dollars.
    Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by dbhost

Item #60706. 4 Steel Heavy Duty Floor Jack with Rapid Pump.

So what fails have you had from Harbor Freight tools? Please list the failures, and item numbers with as much specificity as possible. And did you have a work around for it?
      I've got to check which one I bought. I don't think I got the Rapid Pump model. The problem I have with HF is they have so many different catalog numbers for seemingly the same item--presumably to help them keep track of which factory they came from. So far so good with my jack but I'm sure I haven't used it as extensively as you have. Just on my mid-size SUV and my dad's Tahoe, but they were always backed up with jack stands.

Off the top of my head, this is what I have from HF:

4 gallon twin tank air compressor
      --It's over 10 years old and still works well

23 gauge pin nailer
      --The HF pins weren't that great, but the Porter Cable pins at HD work pretty well

18 gauge brad nailer
      --Jams sometimes but has been a solid performer overall. I find it jams if I put a new stick of brads behind an unfinished stick. Now I let the partial stick run out first before reloading.

16 gauge nailer
      --Haven't used it much, but did a whole room of crown molding without a problem

flooring nailer/stapler
      --Used it to put down bamboo flooring using nails. Worked great. Looking forward to the next flooring project

retractable hose reel
      --No issues for the price. I'm glad I have it.

benchtop drill press
      --The first one worked fine until I dropped it on it's head. It's replacement is fine although the chuck wanders a little--fine for what I do.

2HP DC
      --Solid performer and has helped keep the shop clean. Has been upgraded a lot. Switch burned out, but it was replaced easily.

small HVLP gun
      --Haven't used it enough to say

lots of clamps
      --Their AL clamps are a little flimsy but for the price, they've always gotten the job done. I like their F-style clamps

floor jack
      --So far so good

jack stands
      --So far so good

lost of air fittings
      --Sometimes I get a leaky one, but for the price they're OK

metal detector wand
      --hasn't missed a piece of metal in my lumber yet

non-contact IR thermometer
      --It's accurate. No problems.

trailer hitch accessories
      --so far so good

Wow, more than I thought. I always read the reviews posted by other HF customers before I buy something there. I think they have been pretty accurate and I can't really say I've bought an absolute dud.

Paul

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Paul,

Sounds like your few misses were more in the mixed bag category... Let me rephrase them for you...

23 gauge pin nailer. Your issue seemed to be the HF pins, not the nailer.

18 gauge brad nailer. Jams if reloaded before the first strip runs out. My neighbors Bostitch does the same thing. Guess that is common...

flooring nailer/stapler. Looking forward to the next flooring project. Is that a problem or a compliment?

benchtop drill press works great until you drop it head first onto concrete I am assuming. (Can't blame the drill press for that). Chuck wanders a bit on the replacement. Wondering if it is the chuck, or the shaft that is off. What say you?

2HP DC switch failure. A common easily fixed problem with these.

Aluminum clamps are a bit flimsy. (Which ones? I had the aluminum corner clamps and they were downright unusable).

Air fittings. An occasional leaky fitting. I get that too. But at the same time, Genuine Milton fittings leak at about the same rate.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sailor55330
          Established Member
          • Jan 2010

HF Dust collector--so far so good. I've heard about the switch issues, but I chose to put it on a switched outlet, so the unit switch stays in the on position--
          Pneumatic staple gun---eh....it works, but sometimes misfires. for $15, it's ok
          5" ROS......It died, but again, I bought it to abuse and I sanded a boatload of cedar on my deck, again for the price, I bought it to be disposable and it was
          Mulit-tool----loud, but works well
          1/2" Hammer Drill (this is the old orange one). I needed to drill about 8 holes in concrete and it's still going strong 8 years later
          Countersink bit set----they wander a bit, but overall, they're ok.

That's about it. I think if you keep your expectations in line with the pricepoints, then you will probably not be dissappointed and maybe even pleasantly surprised on occasion. If you are looking to stock your toolbox for professional level use, it might be a different story.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I used the 18 gauge brad nailer for a number of years. My biggest complaint wasn't so much the jamming, but the fact that when it does jam, it's about a 5 minute job to clear (remove four hex screws, etc). Really a pain when you're in the zone of getting a project done. I eventually replaced it with a Hitachi that I got a great deal on. That one will clear a jam with a simple flip of a lever. Not sure it jams less than the HF but it sure is easier to get going again when it does.

Comment

Working...