• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Drill bit sharpening

I picked up this drill bit sharpening jig at a yard sale last weekend. Its a General Tools Drill Grinding Attachment, Model 825. Given the state of the box I would estimate its 30+ years old but it looks like the same model is still sold today at Woodcraft so I guess it works. Has anybody else tried one of these?

Click image for larger version

Name:	416150.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	800810
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

IN the "old" days, I saw a couple of people use something like that for sharpening. And I remember watching a person sharpening by hand (pliers) holding, but I could never do that. For me, a Drill Doctor 750 makes sharpening bits a breeze. I usually do all that I can at one "sitting" and then put the Drill Dr up for a year.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I haven't used one of those, but did use something similar on my Sharp All. It mounts to a table in front of the grinding wheel on one side.
      While it worked okay and was adjustable for 118 degree or 135 degree bits, it would not cut the split point grind. I drill a lot of metals and I need that.
      I now use a Drill Doctor. Usually at least once a month or so. I love that thing. It is quick, easy and accurate.
      As long as your sanding belt or disc sander is fairly fine grit, that one should work well.
      Lee

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I have one exactly like that one and age except it is Craftsman. It's not that user friendly. It is to be used with a stationary bench grinder, not sanders, but probably would work that way. If you do not use the grinder wheel for anything else and bugger the face of it up it is ready for the next use, otherwise you have to re-dress it again. It's great for larger bits. My old job had a large version of this made on the grinder, and was used for up to 2" bits. During that time in the machine shop I sharpened so many drill bits and carbide cutters by hand I became comforortable with the process and still hand sharpen my own bits. If your 825 does not have the instructions, let me know and I'll look in my box and see if I have instructions.
        capncarl

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Thanks guys. I still haven't quite got my sharpening station setup but will experiment with this when I do. The Drill Doctor looks simpler but as this 825 cost basically nothing its good value if it works.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I use a Drill doctor ocassionally and do all the 118° bits I can find.
            I tried using the 118° slot on the grinder feed table but found that just too finicky- I couldn't get the the touch required or the hang of it for consistent results. The Drill Dr. is the epitome of controlled repeatability.

Can't do my 135° set of bits I use for metalworking...
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...