X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Insulating dc cyclone

So as you may have read I recently picked up a used Oneida 3HP gorilla cyclone and wanted to build a little structure for it just outside my shop and want to add insulation to mitigate the noise. I asked the same question on another forum and someone suggested using offset framing and bat insulation which I'm seriously considering. I had a couple of questions.

1. how much ventilation do I have to allow and how much head room do I need to allow? It's a 3hp unit with 1554 cfm at 1.8" static pressure. Link below

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD...8A254EDF4FC%7D

2. How should the floor be built?

3. How much clearance between ceiling and top of dc.

It will be a couple of months till I can get around to building the shed so for now I just looking for ideas. Thanks
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

My concern for height would be regarding what appears to be a TEFC motor at the top, to have enough ventilation for the fan to actually cool the motor. If you were to put a roof over it, could create eave vents without defeating your sound insulation?

Another insulating material could be anechoic foam - I believe I'v heard Dave (dbhost) talk about that in the past. Can you put a cement pad under it as the flooring?
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Wasn't me I swear!

I would think though, you could do the offset framing / batts, or foam insulation.

Bass frequencies are going to be super hard to completely stop, so low frequency vibration should be compensated for by using rubber isolation mounts for the motor.

I personally would ventilate it back into the shop using a simple filter frame that holds something like 2 Filtrete filters of whatever size you want... Shouldn't need to go bigger than say 12x24...

Have something in front of the opening, soft, and sufficiently far away to absorb sound waves and you should have most of the noise cut out, with cleaned air returned to your shop without losing heated or cooled air to the outside.
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

dbhost hit it dead on, cut back into the shop for return air to save your heated
        and cooled air. You want to build the closet big enough you can service anything that goes wrong without having to take a wall down. Leave yourself enough room to squeeze in. I've seem so many people build well houses that dont have enough extra room for a family of rats and when something goes wrong, and it does with a well, they have to take the roof off or remove a wall. I'd consider styorfoam or other foam board insulation. That way when you have a dust storm in the closet it won't fill up the insulation, and when you have to squeeze in you won't itch to death!
        capncarl

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Thanks for the advice so far. Keep them coming.

I forgot to mention the floor is currently cement already. But I just realized it really shouldn't have any vibration since its wall mounted and the only thing touching the ground is the canister. And Hopefully with the offset framing will do a good enough job. I will sheath the inside with osb. What do you think about adding a couple sheets of drywall to the wall holding the dc?

Great tip Dbhost for placing the vent back to the shop. Even though my shop is not climate controlled it will still serve to direct the sound back to the shop instead of toward my neighbor. Which is my real goal. I almost always wear ear muffs when running the big machines so I personally don't mind the noise too much. I'd just like to keep it away from the neighbors. This would mean the vent will be towards the middle or bottom of the dc and away from the motor(which is on top). I wonder if that will be enough to cool the motor?

capncarl, I like your idea of making enough room for servicing it in the the future. The inside will be sheathed as well so I won't be rubbing up against the bat insulation.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Of course if it's too much hassle to install, you could pack it up and ship it to me...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by dbhost
              Of course if it's too much hassle to install, you could pack it up and ship it to me...
              Let's call than plan Z

Comment

Working...