X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

The planer was overall in great shape but there was some paint flaking and some light rust under. 2 questions.

1. Should I bother removing the flaking paint to get to the rusted portion?
    2. What type paint should I use? Hoping for something hey carry at Borg so I can color match
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
      Jussi, those are awesome finds! I'd be jealous, but I have absolutely no room for anything that large.
      I really don't either . But I'm finding ways to cram it in anyways. Besides a large bandsaw (18" +) I think in done buying new tools.

Yah right :

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Do you have dedicated space to set the planer? A couple of years ago I had to turn down a great deal on a Jet planer about that size because I have to have everything portable. You were lucky that you could get it home. In 2005 bought a new bench top vertical milling machine at an equipment show. It was still in its crate and they just set it in the back of my truck with a forklift, all 700 lbs of it. My shop crane could not reach high or far enough to pick it up and it took several days to build a lift to pick it up. Are you staying in touch with the seller because he may have tooling stashed in the storage building?
        capncarl

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

This is one of the most suckworthy posts ever. Nice find!

And you suck even more when the DC is put together!

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

It's final spot will have 8' in and out feed and that should be good enough for 95% of the time. One of the few things wrong with it was the front wheel of the built in mobile base was damaged. So I plan on making my own mobile base for it so I can wheel it out to the garage doors on those very rare times that I need more capacity. It's current spot however is less than ideal. Which was the same spot as my dewalt dw735. That spot worked great because the the table remained stationary and therefore my tablesaw which is a couple of feet in front of it served as an outfeed table. Also the extension table on the 735 were aluminum and folded up so I could easily walk between it and the tablesaw. The new shopfox has a fixed head and moveable table so I have to crank the table almost all the way up to get clearance from the tablesaw. Which only allows me to plane pieces around 2" or less. Which is ok for now as that's a majority of pieces I use but it would be nice to take advantage of the full range in the future. My biggest problem is the very small space between the tablesaw and fixed outfeed extension table. I have to squeeze in sideways to get through, which is a problem since that spot is also the location of my tablesaw attached router table.

Yah I still have his contact number. In fact he has tons of lumber in there and said he planned on looking over them to decide which to sell and would let me know when he had. From what I could see he had some really nice stuff.

Originally posted by capncarl
            Do you have dedicated space to set the planer? A couple of years ago I had to turn down a great deal on a Jet planer about that size because I have to have everything portable. You were lucky that you could get it home. In 2005 bought a new bench top vertical milling machine at an equipment show. It was still in its crate and they just set it in the back of my truck with a forklift, all 700 lbs of it. My shop crane could not reach high or far enough to pick it up and it took several days to build a lift to pick it up. Are you staying in touch with the seller because he may have tooling stashed in the storage building?
            capncarl

Comment

Working...