• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Small Belt Sanders

Does anyone own / use a small belt sander. I see that now smaller units are available that would be much more friendly than my wood destroying Craftsman. In a previous job I used a small air powered 1/2"'wide belt sander. That would be great for woodworking.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I like and use a Delta stationary 1" belt sander.
    I find it very useful for corner rounding, beveling small items etc. It runs vertically with a flat table, but it has a removable vertical bracket that backs up the belt. Its also handy for sanding into inside corners. It's light (can pick up with one hand) but stays put for sanding pressures. I can keep it under the bench and pull up for a quick use without any effort!

There's some other odd choices for narrow belt sanders.
    YOu can get small thin sanding belts attached to the pins that normally attach to a scroll saw... use the scroll saw table to support your work for fine sanding.

You can also get a small belt sander attachment for I think air sanders, something like this:
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-15-2015, 11:32 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Stationary or handheld?
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I should have included HANDHELD. I use the 1" stationary sander a lot but it would be nice to be able to work on the round over of a larger piece without having to wrestle a large plank.
        capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

This sander is what I was trying to spark discussion on.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Charlie R
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2007

Look for reviews of the specific sander you're interested in. The air powered sander I bought from Harbor Freight years ago couldn't track a belt. As soon as you turned it on the belt walked and tore. It doubled as an air powered drill that works fine to wire brush rust but doesn't work well for drilling holes.

Comment

Working...