• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Sharp Blades - Cheap Blades

I just treated my main blades to a resharpen (its been a while). Scott (Scott's sharpening) found a large chip in one of the teeth of my Tenryu GM so that has also been repaired. Cant wait to see how the cut now.

One of my next shop projects is to build the outside wood storage and DC closet. This will mainly be constructed from reclaimed 2x4s and the last thing I want to do is damage my new sharp blades with a hidden nail/screw.

I was thinking about buying a cheap "throw away" blade that I could care less if it gets damaged. I wondered if anybody else had done this.

Never thought of harbor freight for blades but they have this 10" 40T for $14 or maybe just use a cheap 7 1/4 framing blade that can be had for less than $10 at the borg.

I am only cutting up 2x4 so am I missing a downside?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

You guys know I am no HF hater, but honestly, their bits and blades with carbide scare me to death. I don't trust their brazing quality, and am afraid there will be a carbide projectile because of it. Not worth the risk to me.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have a HF 60-80 tooth finish blade which has held up. The finish cut is so-so, but teeth have not come flying out. Of course, I don't think I've hit any metal with it.

This is for your chop saw, right? The blade is spinning away from you and you've got a guard so I'd cut away with a cheap blade. I know I hit nails with the stock Ryobi blade on my Ryobi CMS and the only way I know it is I see a quick spark shoot out, but the teeth are fine.

I also have a HF metal detector that I'll run over wood of unknown origin before going into the planer, but I never bother to use it for the chop saw.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

A decent 7-1/4" can actually be a pretty good deal at ~ $10, but are often too thin to use with your riving knife. You'll either need to remove the knife, or use a wide enough blade.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I've never asked them, but wondered if the saw sharpening company sells unclaimed re sharpened blades??? If so, this could be a bonanza.
          capncarl

Comment

• frumper64
            Established Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Garland, Tx, USA.

For the CMS, I would personally to with the HF blade for the reasons stated above. For cutting reclaimed 2x4's on a table saw, I think I would just pick up a decent 7 1/4" blade and mount that if you can find one as thick as the riving knife.
            Jim
            64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I have lots of old 10 inch blades I almost never use. I'd probably just use one of them for lumber that could contain nails. I have a HF dado set that is not speed rated for the BT3100 but I've used it a few times and nothing bad happened. I switched to the Pro Freud, however. I occasionally use it on my old Ryobi RAS. I don't think HF blades are high quality but I don't think they are dangerous either.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I have a few HF tools and items that I'm happy with. I recommend their Pittsburg bar clamps regularly. One of the things that bothers most about HF products is the lack of consistency. Just because my DP and mortiser work well, does not mean that the next unit will....because of that, their saw blades and router bits concern me. Just because one blade worked well, doesn't ensure that the next one will....it could be argued that it's true of all brands, but the odds are in your favor with some of the better blades. I've seen a router bit shed carbide before and embed itself in a wall... it's scary. Since there are many other reasonably priced alternatives to buying questionable quality blades (and router bits), I wouldn't bother. It only takes a moment for a life changing event to occur, and the cost difference is decimal dust in the grand scheme of things.
                Last edited by Knottscott; 02-05-2015, 08:43 AM.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                  You guys know I am no HF hater, but honestly, their bits and blades with carbide scare me to death. I don't trust their brazing quality, and am afraid there will be a carbide projectile because of it. Not worth the risk to me.
                  That was my first thought as well... I have a good number of HF tools but most of mine wouldn't kill me if they failed

Comment

Working...