• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I'm really interested in just how loud they are now. My oiled HF was awfully loud. Guess I'll find out today when I get it.
    Joe

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Picked up the hot dog version yesterday. Maybe I got used to my old compressor that was a lot louder and maybe that motor was bad for a long time, but this oilless is quieter than my last one. So, it may be loud, but it's quieter than my old one, so I am happy. I always where ear protection when working, so maybe that's part of it.

Fired it up and drove a bunch of 1" brads, which worked well. Yes, it takes a LONG time to fill, but I'm fine with that for $40.
      Joe

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I'm glad you like the new compressor and that it works well for you. I am surprised that it's quieter than the old lubricated one.

I was wondering about the horsepower of the new HF compressor as it's listed as 1/3 HP, IIRC. Just takes a bit of time is all. MY little Craftsman uses a similar single, hotdog-like tank of only two gallons, but the HP rating is 1-HP. It charges the little tank in less than a minute on initial start.

They only offered that particular compressor for one year though; I guess the 3-Gal unit was a lot more popular. They pretty much looked alike, and used the same compressor, just the tank was different, similar to the HF with the compressor mounted on top of the 3-gal. My 2-gallon has the tank in front, with a wrap-around handle bar. the compressor was mounted behind the tank.

I think you made a good choice, and hopefully the unit will hold up well for you. Certainly can't beat the price... mine was something like $119.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I wonder if they are running a slower speed motor for a quiter operation? Thus the slower fill rate. My oil type 2 hp runs at 3400 rpms it think, and is LOUD. My PC oil less sounds to me like it is also running in the 3000 range also. They also create a lot of heat and could be used as shop heaters in the winter!

Comment

Working...