• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Air Filters

I picked up one of the Jet Air Filtration units (AFS-1000B) today from craigslist for $150. When I worked out of my garage it was with the doors wide open most of the time so an air filter wasnt much use. With my new shop nearly ready I knew I needed one and this came along just in time.

It all seems to work great although the exterior filter is pretty gummed up. I haven't opened it up yet to look at the inside filter but I know I need a new external filter.

It seems there are various options including a standard paper version and a washable one. I wonder what you folks may have done and whether there may be any other alternatives. The standard filter is approx $20 and the washable one is closer to $50. Not sure which way to go at this point or whether there may be a good AC style filter that may work.

As usual all thoughts appreciated.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I have the Rikon unit sold by Woodcraft though most of the ceiling filters look/work pretty similar. Two filters. The outer filter (rated for 5 microns on my Rikon) is pleated and looks like cottony cloth. I just vacuum the input side of it with a shop vac or the dust collector at the end of each use to get the bulk of the crud out. Every so often I remove it and blow air through it backwards (out in the yard) for a more complete cleaning. The interior filter (1 micron) stays pretty clean.

I think a plain filter is sufficient; for my unit the extra cost of a washable filter doesn't seem justified. It vacuum cleans easily.

mpc

Comment

• Carpenter96
      Established Member
      • Aug 2011
      • Barrie ON Canada
      • BT 3000

We have several of the Delta units and initially we purchased the replacements from Delta. We discovered that the manufacturer of Delta's filters sold the exact same one in bulk for furnaces. This now meant that we were getting the filters for about 1/8 of the original cost. We use the regular paper ones but we vacuum them out frequently, this allowed us to use the internal filters for about 10 years of heavy use before being replaced. We are a large school for carpenters, with a very dusty environment.

Regards Bob

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Reading the info on filter sys on the Internet (Bill Pientz) leads me to believe you need a filter that will capture less than 1 micron. If not you are exposed to the smallest most dangerous wood dust that is next to invisible. I'm changing over to Wynn Environmental 35a filters soon.
        Pricey but better than an early miserable death.
        capncarl

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
          Reading the info on filter sys on the Internet (Bill Pientz) leads me to believe you need a filter that will capture less than 1 micron. If not you are exposed to the smallest most dangerous wood dust that is next to invisible. I'm changing over to Wynn Environmental 35a filters soon.
          Pricey but better than an early miserable death.
          capncarl
          Carl, I think you may be referring to the DC canister filter (good call for a DC) from Wynn rather than the the ambient air filters. As it happens Wynn does those as well and a pack of 6 is just $48 which is not bad although with nearly $25 shipping to AZ I think I will keep looking for other alternatives.
          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I use washable filters, Same filtration rating as the disposable, and I have them on hand, no need to wait for shipping... I just keep a spare on hand.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

Boy that went over my head! I use 2 Honeywell air purifiers that I picked up at yard sales for about $5 each. They are rated for around 350 sf rooms and have hepa filters rated for .3 micron. I see them fairly often at yard sales, probably from back when more people smoke in their houses and felt guilty about it. I keep a slightly smaller newer model, from yard sales, in my bedroom running all the time. Great background noise and the room doesn't seem to have any dust to leave notes written in on the dresser!
              capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Are you folks familiar with the air filters that folks put in the houses that I am talking about? Honeywell is the brand I am seeing the most of in yard sales. They are too good of a resource for our wood shops to overlook. The 2 I use in the shop are rated for 350 sf each. It may not be enough but better than nothing and a $5-$10 each a good buy.
                Attached Files

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Great idea I will have to look out for one of those as I cruise the yard sales.

Originally posted by capncarl
                  Are you folks familiar with the air filters that folks put in the houses that I am talking about? Honeywell is the brand I am seeing the most of in yard sales. They are too good of a resource for our wood shops to overlook. The 2 I use in the shop are rated for 350 sf each. It may not be enough but better than nothing and a $5-$10 each a good buy.
                  Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...