• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

1" belt sander

I keep wondering about these sanders and what they would be good for. I just saw a good used delta on CL for $50 and wondered if it was worth having one.

So, who owns one and what do use them for?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I have three HF 1 inch belt sanders and really like them. Got them when they were much cheaper with 20% coupons for about $20 each (2009 or 2010). I use one with course belts, one with medium or fine and one with an ultra-fine 800 or so grit dedicated for knife sharpening.

I don't use them very often, but they do serve a very good purpose when I do need them. Not having to swap belts (or hunt for them) is a big plus for me. I am surprised at the price of the HF tools now, with many items being twice what they were 5 years ago.

OH, I use them for shaping the head of a chisel, quick grinding of metallic material, grinding/sanding small wood or other parts. I use the 1 inch belts more than my grinder or my 12" disk sander.
    Last edited by leehljp; 12-10-2014, 03:30 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I've got one that I picked up at a yard sale for cheap, figured I could use the motor or something, that the belt would never track, piece of junk. I use it all the time, works great, and is not near as hard on your knuckle meat as the big ones are. I picked up some 400 or so grit paper for it and you talk about sharpening a knife!
      capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I do like mine as well. Light and easy to move, doesn't take much room.
        Good for small contour items, rounding corners, beveling corners, dowels, etc.
        Very handy.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Turaj
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
          • BT3000 (1998)

Another happy owner here. I have Delta belt/disk sander and it is perfect for working with small pieces (I do like to build toys). As Hank says, you can also use it for sharpening.

I say go for it
          Turaj (in Toronto)
          "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

Working...