• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Improvement to my auxiliary switch

A while back I posted on my auxiliary switch, which I mounted underneath the rail on my 21829, which I use as the operating switch. The original switch on the saw I use as a safety, which when "off" removes power to the auxiliary switch.

I took recent inspiration following the Ultimate Tool Stand thread to this thread by IVWSHANE and borrowed the switch concept to upgrade mine. http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=57822

Love it, thanks for sharing the idea. Some pix of my setup below, using scrap laminate flooring; I also used a 20amp switch. Shot off "on" and "off positions". Also, just nicely clears the fence where mounted. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Bill in Buena Park
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Good idea, like the hole in the top so you can start it with a finger! Now to paint it or find a red plastic material for a cover. Gotta do something like that for my powermatic, it takes a while to find the stop button.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Good idea.

A modified off switch like this is the only mod I've done to my cabinet saw but definitely one of my favorite shop projects. Now after a cut, I can bump it off with my knee even when both bands are occupied.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Is that a residential wall mount lighting switch?
        Probably not rated for motor use, but they're cheap and you can easily replace if and when the contacts go bad.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Yes, I was going for a switch I could "bump" to off position that was easier to reach than the original on-saw switch placement. Also reasonably accessible with the rip fence locked over it. And with the bump cover plate, there is no accidentally bumping this style of switch into "on" position.

Loring, yes, household switch. My first version, introduced a short way into this thread, used a 15-amp toggle-type switch, and I've had it in use now for nearly 4 years, no problems at all with it. But yes - a few more $ for the 20amp, but still cheap enough to replace if the contacts fail. And since I replaced my original on-saw switch with the newer one, have that as a backup.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...