• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Using an old range hood in the shop?

I'm going to swap out our old kitchen range hood (probably 200cfm) for one with double the cfm. Anything I can use the old blower motor for? I was thinking downdraft table, but most are in the 1000+ cfm range. I already have a ceiling mounted air cleaner (1200cfm). Is this squirrel cage fan good for anything?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

A kitchen range hood that's been used any probably has lots of fine grease coating on the insides and on the fan motor and blades. That you'll probably never be able to clean off.

I can only imagine if you use this in the shop collecting wood dust what it would look like after a while.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I would think 200CFM would be awfully low for a downdraft table (or most other shop uses).

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

I hung one over an area where I do electroplating to keep fumes from building up. You might make a mini spray cabinet and use this to exhaust water base finishes.
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

200 cfm is about the size of a cheap bathroom exhaust fan, and we all know how much good that does! More noise than airflow. I would save it for a kids project.

Comment

Working...