• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Router Died

So, I was doing some work on getting my table saw station finally completed in my new shop. I had my Bosch 1617 in the fixed base to do some rabbets.

I moved from one side of the TS sation to another, and my foot caught the cord that was plugged into the wll a few feet away. The router flew off of the table saw and hit the concrete floor with a solid whap! The fixed base was shattered on one side, but the motor assembly looked unscathed.

It sucks enough to have to buy a new fixed base, but at least the motor itself is fine. I thought. BUT, when I plugged the motor back in to make sure it was working, I was greeted with the sound of silence. I changed outlets, in case that was the issue. Nothing. I unplugged it, took it apart, and found nothing wrong that I could see. No broken circuitry. No moose connections. The brushes were intact and making good contact with the motor. The motor spindle/ whatever it's called was clear of any obstructions and moving freely. No broken/ loose wires. I didn't see any scuff marks on the motor body that would indicate an impact on the body itself. I reassembled the motor and still nothing. I checked to make sure that there was power in the cord with my voltage detector, and indeed there was power going to the motor.

So, any ideas what could be wrong with it? I'm comfortable doing any additional troubleshooting/ testing to check connections, but is there anyone who has specific suggestions regarding what to check?

I can take it to a service center to repair, but it's always rediculously expensive when a tool's out of warranty. Should I just buy a new set? It'll cost me about $50-60 to replace the base anyway. If it's going to cost $80 to have a technician repair it that's not that far off of buying a whole new one.

Thoughts/ reccomendations much appreciated.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Did you try bypassing the switch?

Comment

• Turaj
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
      • BT3000 (1998)

I second the C-man's suggestion.

I am not sure if this is your problem or not but many (including myself) have had the problem with the switch. Simply put, saw dust gets into the switch and prevents the circuit to be closed. It is a very easy fix that takes about 10 minutes (20 if you have to look for the right screwdriver ). I may still have some pictures of the procedure if I can find them.
      Turaj (in Toronto)
      "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• durango dude
        • Mar 2011
        • a thousand or so feet above insanity
        • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Lonnie Bird's router book has a chapter about maintaining a router -

I've followed his directions - not that hard.

I'll confess that I was tempted to say "it's dead - send it to me, and I'll ensure that it's disposed safely and properly......"
        Last edited by durango dude; 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

Well I can definitely check the switch easily enough. I'll pull her apart tonight and see what I can find with my multimeter.

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN

Well, this is why you guys rule. Took it apart again, and checked with my multi meter. Nothing is going through, even when switched on. Double checked by using a wire to bridge the connection and the thing fired up. Now I just have to change the switch out. I'm going to see what a factory replacement will cost. I'm guessing $20 with shipping. I'm wondering if a radioshack one can be used as a drop in replacement...

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by BigguyZ
              No broken circuitry. No moose connections.
              Bullwinkle may be available but I don't think he has experience in router repair.
              Last edited by phrog; 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM.
              Richard

Comment

• geopilot
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Lexington, KY, USA.

Based on the known switch problems with this router it is worth calling Bosch for a replacement. They might send one free of charge. 1-877-BOSCH99
                Good luck with the repair.

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                  • BT3000 (1998)

... Now I just have to change the switch out. I'm going to see what a factory replacement will cost. I'm guessing $20 with shipping. ...
                  Actually, you don't need to replace the switch! Just need to blow the dust off. I cannot remember the name but we also used some kind of sealer to make sure that saw dust does not get back into the switch.
                  Turaj (in Toronto)
                  "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN

I'll look into that. I didn't work to get teh switch actually out yet, but I'll try that out.

Comment

• greenacres2
                      • Dec 2011
                      • La Porte, IN
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Do call Bosch though, as they did have a run of bad switches in the earlier 1617's. Has been fixed in production for some years, i can't recall the change over date to the new switch.
                      earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'll look into that. I didn't work to get teh switch actually out yet, but I'll try that out.
                        May not have to remove or disassemble the switch. Just use an air nozzle and blow into the seam around the rocker switch and the body to displace any dust that may have entered the switch.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BigguyZ
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2006
                          • Minneapolis, MN

Tried compressed air into the switch, no luck.

Just called Bosch, however, and the rep ordered a replacement switch for me for free. The replacement from their website is $5 without shipping, so I probably saved $15 there.

I'm working on getting a replacement base, so maybe this stupid accident will only end up costing me under $40.

Just reminds you, be careful around power cords!

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

Originally posted by phrog
                            Bullwinkle may be available but I don't think he has experience in router repair.
                            Dang! You beat me to it! "Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a router out of my hat!"

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

• phrog
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by gsmittle
                              Dang! You beat me to it! "Hey, Rocky, watch me pull a router out of my hat!"

g.
                              I assume you're referring to Rocky the Flying Squirrel. Wow, you must be as old as I am. I promise not to tell.
                              Richard

Comment

Working...